Did the latest Chrome version "broke" the web?

PWaddict

While I was developing a website in the previous week I notice a strange behavior on Chrome browser. When hovering on image links they were moving down 1px and sometimes getting vertical screen tearing. I couldn't find why this was happening. I googled about this issue and didn't find something similar. Then I saw the exact same issue on other sites too (not mine). It doesn't always happen, you have to scroll up/down first and try to hover on links or img links or even click on those links. I tried other browsers like Firefox, IE11 even the Steam web browser and everything is working fine there.

In the previous week Chrome updated to 61.0.3163.100. Is any of you having this issue?

Here is screenshot while I was hovering the navigation menu on the Steam site and the vertical screen tearing happened.

59d2daa7c0825_ChromeVerticalScreenTearing.thumb.jpg.4e7a8766c3b01cab4a7b13ab481f6464.jpg

6 hours ago, EntitySelf said:

I've already updated to the latest nvidia drivers 385.69. I always have the hardware acceleration disabled. I forced vsync on Chrome but nothing is fixing the issue. 

What we can deduce:

- It is not your site
- It is not likely to be a vsync issue (can't screenshot that, I am 99% sure)
- It is vertically, not horizontally (vsync issues)
- I don't think it is extra HTML / CSS inserted by an extension because the way it is distorted (through the middle of a text line)
- It happend after the latest Chrome update
- Other browsers work fine, so its Chromes rendering
- It doesn't happen for everyone (not for me at least, no hits on Google).

Did you try
- Turning Hardware acceleration back on
- Chrome incognito mode (no extensions)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, szabesz said:

Did you check installed extensions? I know this glitch does not seem like an extension issue but you never know...

I've already disable all the extensions and the issue is still there.

11 hours ago, EntitySelf said:

Did you try
- Turning Hardware acceleration back on
- Chrome incognito mode (no extensions)

I tried both and the issue is still there.

8 hours ago, abdus said:

Update your graphics driver, try rolling back to an older version of chrome

I'm already having the latest graphics driver. I don't think that's possible to roll back to an older version of Chrome but I've just installed the latest beta version of Chrome 62.0.3202.45 and the issue is gone. Btw the images are blurry on the beta so I will uninstall it and wait for an update on the stable version. At least now I know that they fixed it.

I will post again on the next stable version.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...