$pages->sort($parent, true) bug?

nbcommunication

Hi,

I was adding a hook in admin.php which updates a field that is based on the sort value and runs after Pages::sorted. Looking through the docs, I figured hey I'll run $pages->sort($parent, true) so that the sort values are correct before setting the other field. Here's the basic hook:

<?php namespace ProcessWire;

$pages->addHookAfter("Pages::sorted", function($event) {

$pages = $event->object;
	$page = $event->arguments(0);

$pages->sort($page->parent, true);

// Other stuff

return;
});

This kept returning the following exception:

SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1364 Field 'name' doesn't have a default value (in .../wire/core/PagesEditor.php line 1388)

Now, thinking through this, sorting the pages in the admin probably runs the sortRebuild() function that the error is referring to anyway, so $pages->sort($parent, true) isn't needed at all and perhaps this is why the error is appearing.

However, I've just run

<?php namespace ProcessWire;

if($user->hasRole("superuser")) {
	$pages->sort($pages->get(1072), true);
}

And this is returning the same error/exception.

The parent called above has 14 child pages. Running 3.0.62.

Is this something I'm doing wrong?

Cheers,

Chris

NB Communication

Stack trace from the second example, which I called on the 404 page...

Error: Exception: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1364 Field 'name' doesn't have a default value (in ../wire/core/PagesEditor.php line 1388) 
#0 ../wire/core/PagesEditor.php(1388): PDOStatement->execute() 
#1 ../wire/core/Pages.php(882): ProcessWire\PagesEditor->sortRebuild(Object(ProcessWire\Page)) 
#2 ../wire/core/Wire.php(386): ProcessWire\Pages->___sort(Object(ProcessWire\Page), true) 
#3 ../wire/core/WireHooks.php(698): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___sort', Array) 
#4 ../wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\Pages), 'sort', Array) 
#5 /home/stmasway/public_html/site/templates/404.php(9): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('sort', Array) 
#6 ../wire/core/TemplateFile.php(268): require('/home/stmasway/...') 
#7 ../wire/core/Wire.php(380): ProcessWire\TemplateFile->___render() 
#8 ../wire/core/WireHooks.php(698): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___render', Array) #9 ../wire/core/Wire.

That's probably because MySQL strict mode is enabled. sortRebuild() uses a "shortcut" notation for multiple updates using an "INSERT ... ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE ..." statement that fails in strict mode. Both disabling strict mode globally or adding the following in site/config.php should help:

$config->dbSqlModes = array(
	"5.5.0" => "remove:STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY"
)

This is already the default for MySQL >= 5.7, but both features may be active in 5.5 and 5.6 installations as well. There's already an open issue for this here.

• Like 2