Something is starting a lot of entry processes

asbjorn

A couple of days ago my site went down for about 3–4 hours, due to what Cpanal calls EPf faults. There was over 300.000+ faults in total over the span of a few hours, resulting in a 508 error.

I talked to my shared host support, which did not say anything about attacks or high traffic (this is a low traffic site on a decent shared host solution). But they said that the problem was the .htaccess file. Thing is, I've been using the same .htaccess file for months. Being said, I updated the file to a «out of the box» ProcessWire file with a few uncomments, and htaccess files from other installations of mine, but it did not seem to work stopping the 508.

I ended up with a htaccess file from another installation, with the ProCache code implemented. And just when I removed that part, the page started working again. It might be coincidental, that it was just some processes that stopped or services that restartet. I don't know.

What I do know is that ProCache was mostly turned off on my templates, which I have later turned on.

All in all, I don't exactly know what the problem was, or what the solution could be. I'm hoping ProCache will work. If it even could help solve such a problem.

What I am actually asking is, have anybody else had this problem? (Attacks, bad coding, cache turned off …?) Could ProDevTools shine a light on the issue if the webpage shows 508 due to a high number of faults?

(Sorry for the messy post by the way, a lot of unstructured thoughts.)