[solved] HTML comments removed from template - since when?

Robin S

I just noticed that HTML comments in a template file are not rendered in the front-end source. Which is totally fine with me, very useful in fact, but I'm wondering what part of PW is responsible and when this started happening.

I know that ProCache strips HTML comments, but I don't think that is the cause in this case because I currently have it disabled and comments are still not rendered.

Was it introduced by the file compiler starting in PW3? Or maybe part of the new Markup Regions feature (which I have enabled) ? Or has this always been the case and I just never noticed?

To be clear: HTML comments in _main.php are rendered, just not those in a template file.

Wrong forum section sorry. Meant to post this in General Support.

It must be pro cache; i have a site with pro cache enabled and i don't have it set to strip comments, and my comments still appear; have you tried turning off the html minification features of PC? i believe it still processes, even when the caching is off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macrura said:

It must be pro cache

I have ProCache disabled from the main "ProCache enabled?" checkbox, which turns all ProCache features off including minification I believe.

I uninstalled ProCache to be sure and did a bit more testing. Seems to be an unannounced side-effect of the Markup Regions feature. When this is enabled in config.php all HTML comments both inside and outside a markup region in a template file are stripped out of the compiled output (edit: clarified below).

I don't mind that as it's useful to be able to put notes and separators into the markup that are better kept out of the front-end source. I was just a bit surprised as this wasn't mentioned in the blog posts.

23 minutes ago, Macrura said:

is markup regions something that you can enable/disable?

Yes, the first blog post on the feature says that for now it must be explicitly enabled in $config:

$config->useMarkupRegions = true;

You have to be deliberately using the feature too in order to be affected by the stripped comments. So contrary to what I said above it isn't so much that useMarkupRegions is enabled, it's when there are comments in the HTML that occur before the doctype or <html> tag.

How does it work technically?

It's actually really simple. When ProcessWire renders a page, it now asks the question: does any markup appear before the doctype or <html> element? And if it does, does any of it reference "id" attributes or have "pw-" prefix classes? If so, it processes them as markup regions, letting you do all that's mentioned in this post.

----

_main.php

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
    <title><?= $page->title ?></title>
</head>
<body>

<?= $my_var ?>

<!-- this comment will be rendered -->
<div id="main">