CloudCannon

Marek

Hi,

yesterday I found out about a service called CloudCannon. I think it is interesting way to develop small size sites. you can see video about it at cloudcannon.com

there are a few thinks that I like about it that I find time consuming when working with pw.

When you use PW you have to think in advance about the structure, fields that you are going to use, how you gonna name them etc.

With CC there is not such a problem. I think when you combine it with an ability to just push code to git, it saves a lot of time.

so my question is, considering small size projects, what would you use? what could be some advantages of using PW? and are there any solutions to "problems" with PW I mentioned?

I just gave the documentation for CloudCannon a read, and I can't agree with you. You still have to think about how you structure it, decide what information to turn into individual fields (editable regions) and how you name them for translation (manually give every editable region a unique data-i18n key) and styling. The example for the navigation with an endless list of if-statements just to decide which link should have the "active" css class set is enough in itself to make me never ever want to use it as a CMS.

The "problems with PW" you mentioned are things every developer should always (at least try to) work out in advance before he/she starts working on a site, no matter what platform. Even a static site needs fixed places for pieces of identical semantic value and proper naming of HTML elements for the CSS and JS that is referencing it to work and still make sense after a year. If  you encounter things that you always need to do the same way to get started with a website in PW, you can create a site profile, use one of the Exporter modules or write a short script. This is one of the big strengths of PW: to make complex recurring tasks easy.

• Like 6

Was going to write a longer reply, but BitPoet already summed up most of my thoughts :)

One thing I'd like to add to the "benefits" section is that with ProcessWire you can be certain that you won't run into issues if that "simple site" needs to grow. Sure, you could always ditch all you've got and start from the scratch, and sometimes that's a good idea anyway, but ProcessWire is more than capable of handling both small and large needs.

That being said I don't really know CloudCannon that well, so it might also be capable of handling larger needs, but based on what I've seen so far that doesn't seem very likely. At the very least their pricing model ($$ per month per user, if I understand it correctly) would make CloudCannon really expensive for most of the clients we work with :)

• Like 3