What problems you found when moving from EE

onjegolders

I have a very similar experience to yours stillmoving, though I never was involved with txp.

Would be interested to hear what problems, if any, you found when moving from EE and what you did to solve them...

Was there anything that was particularly different or difficult?

EDIT: I splitted this topic from it's original thread (this was getting little off topic there and definitely earns own thread anyways). -apeisa

Edited by apeisa

I have a very similar experience to yours stillmoving, though I never was involved with txp.

Would be interested to hear what problems, if any, you found when moving from EE and what you did to solve them...

Was there anything that was particularly different or difficult?

The 'problems', if you can call them that, is my noob PHP status :). I keep a lot of Coda clips handy because I can remember everything. PW does nearly everything out of the box that EE + X amount of add-ons does. There are some aspects to building a site in PW that are 'harder' like categories and tags but PW offers a different and, without doubt, more robust and useful way of accomplishing that through PageListSelect.

I've put sites together in EE with page-tree type add-ons which takes users away from the entries list pane and into a pseudo tree-like structure. It's so easy to screw up an entire site. PW's pages hierarchy takes away any confusion and just makes sense. From there, as you know, you can not only pick and choose what pages you present through the API.

The other great aspect to PW is the community right here. I haven't come across one so accommodating and friendly in a long time. The only other one I can think of that's comparable is the Luxology (3d) forums. It really does make a huge difference when learning new tools and knowing that you can post noobie questions and get helpful responses.

Regards

Marty

• Like 1

Thanks Marty, I'm getting pretty much the same impression from my first 4 or 5 days.

I know very basic PHP and my only struggles so far are finding the replacements for what are, relatively easy functions in EE.

Things like:

if count =

class="{switch="odd|even"}">

Also I must be one of the few people who liked the idea of channels, I'm currently trying to figure out how to disable the edit button for users on some parents.

Eg: I want them to create new blog articles, but that ought to have nothing to do with the parent blog page so I don't really want that confusion for them.

If you have any ex-EE related tips or snippets that would be great!

I totally agree with what you mean about EE's addons, though they are in the main great, I feel that lots of them ought to be included in the core.

And you're right, the community here seems brilliant!

Thought I'd just add what the forum helped me find. If you are looking for a replacement for the "if count" and "switch" methods in EE then the following code may help you. I should point out that there may be better ways of doing this but I find it understandable enough to consider it re-usable for my needs:

// set class then add classes to first, last and even boxes.
$class = 'blog_box';
if ($blog_entry->getItemKey($entry) % 2) {$class .= ' blog_box_even';}
if ($entry == $blog_entry->first()) {$class .= ' blog_box_first';}
elseif ($entry == $blog_entry->last()) {$class .= ' blog_box_last';}
echo "<div class='$class'>";
echo "<p>Content here</p>";
echo "</div>";
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this thread.

I also just discovered ProcessWire and am considering a permanent move away from ExpressionEngine.

Good luck, you'll find a lot of similarities, but also some nice differences. Just post in here if you come unstuck.