revert description override

ceberlin

Picked up from GitHub for discussion...

https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/issues/489

Probably I did not make my point clear. Assuming that commenting on closed issues at gitHub a waste of time I want to present my idea here on the wishlist to find supporters for that idea...

-------------------------------------

Example task:

The default general field description is: "fill this in"

In the current template the local field description is overwritten with: "fill this out".

Now I want to reset the local field description with the general description.

(The "description" is just an example. The same applies to all other entries and settings that can be overwritten)

What I tried out:

Deleting the local description means: nothing is shown. - This is a good and intended behavior, as overriding something with and empty field can make sense in many cases.
Writing what I want to have there, works.

How to archive this now  (I quote Ryan):

We already support that behavior, but you have to state the intention this way: Rather than making it blank, type or paste in the general description to your local field. Save. Now any changes you make to the general field description will also be reflected in the local description.

This works fine but can be a tedious task to do manually.

Wish:

Especially when building large websites or in teams or half year later the question can come quickly: what was the original value again

A "discard local changes" would make that comparison easy. Then I could either save or not save that reversion, depending what content version I prefer.