Custom installer

verdeandrea

Hi guys,

I started using PW for a lot of new projects, and everytime i install a new PW site i always repeat the same modules installation (repeater module, module manager, ecc).

Is there a way to have a custom installation, whit this common modules included, in order to avoid this repeated actions?

Thanks

Have you already checked out Process Export Profile? It automates most of the tasks required here.

You'll still have to copy existing /site/modules/ path etc. but the module does provide proper instructions for all that too.

Another option is simply copying your current site, changing just the bits in /site/config.php you need changed. That's what I usually do -- create a solid "base site" and then just duplicate it when needed. Depends on your needs, really.

Edit: recent and somewhat related topic: http://processwire.com/talk/topic/5736-export-profile/.

Edited by teppo
  • Like 1

Profiles are a great way to do it. I have a couple that already have a simple news system built in and different frameworks and so on - no use for anyone else as they are very much dedicated towards how I like to work, but it gives me an instant starter and always means I am using the most recent version of PW at that point.

Just as easy as copying your own site.

• Like 1

Maybe i didn't get how Process Export Profile really works. 

Does it create a new installation, with the modules or template i decide to export?

And i was thinking: does a module installation record data on database? In that case i need a copy of db to import every time i install (or copy) a new processwire site.

Process Export Profile creates /site/install/ directory, which contains database export (including contents of your modules table) and assets.

When installing new site from a site profile, download ProcessWire, copy aforementioned /site/install/ directory over existing /site/install/ in the fresh ProcessWire copy and then run installer. It's that simple, really.

Note that you'll also have to manually copy /site/modules/ and /site/templates/ from your "base site" to new site in order to include those in your new installation.

It really takes just seconds.

When you run it, once it is finished, it will tell you which directories you need to copy across. But obviously if you have any extra directories within the "site" directory that you have created for other purposes, don't forget to copy those as well. For instance, I have a TinyMCE directory inside Site that has a spell checker in it.