Limit edit access to groups of pages for user groups

yellowled

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I was unable to find it using the search. (If so, please just point me to the thread.)

Given project is for an organization which has local sub-organizations. It's supposed to have “global” editors which should be able to edit (almost) any page in the site (that one I got covered) as well as “local” editors which should only be able to edit pages for their specific local organization. For example:

* Homepage

* Page

* Page

* Section New York

* Section Los Angeles

* Page

* etc.

So in this example, there would be a group editors which would be able to edit any page in the tree, but also groups:

* editors-newyork: able to edit only “Section New York” and child pages of that

* editors-losangeles: able to edit only “Section Los Angeles” and child pages of that

Everyone (including me) would use templates like section-newyork and section-losangeles plus template-based access, but there's a twist.

This is supposed to be expandable by the client, i.e. the client should be able to add a section-boston with a group editors-boston and corresponding permissions. I don't see that working with template-based access since the client is not supposed to create/edit templates.

Another way to handle it would be the Page Edit Per User module, but I find that a bit cumbersome because it works on a per-user basis instead of a per-role basis. Is there an (easy) way to extend the module to use roles instead? (Disclaimer: I am not a PHP coder, I can't do this myself without help.)

Or is there a way to implement this I am simply missing?

You could also check out UserGroups, also discussed here. As the name suggest, this module adds new concept called "groups" (ProcessWire, by default, only knows "roles") and allows you to specify page-based permissions for users belonging to these groups. Companion module PageListPermissions provides alternative, page-tree-based UI and in some ways makes things easier to manage.

Word of warning, though: UserGroups isn't considered quite "production ready" yet, so tread carefully. Generally speaking it's more useful when your needs are slightly larger, i.e. you need a lot of different sections editable and/or viewable by specific groups of people.

If you do try it out, any feedback is welcome :)