Idea: plugin for datasets in pw

Niklas

Hi guys,

i have a little idea for a plugin. i am only a frontend-dev, so i can´t developing those plugins self.

A cool feature would like when you can mark some sites as a "dataset" and these sites won´t show in a frontend or a backend menu. these sites show only as datasets on the parentsite in the backend in a table. so it would very clear if you have many datas like news article or so on...

what do you think about that?

cheers,

niklas

PS: sorry for my f****** english ;)

Hi Niklas,

i guess maybe when you say 'sites' you mean pages?

this is something that can already be done pretty easily. for example i just did a site with 3 distinct types of data, classes (as in like an art class), sessions (as in the actual session that the class runs, start/end dates, instructor etc.) and events.

For the classes, we setup a parent page called Class Database, and then a custom admin page for viewing the list of classes, and being able to click on one and edit it. the class database page used a template called class-database which only allows the page type class as a child.

for sessions those are relational to classes and output on each class, the class is a page select on the session, and there is no template file for the session, so they won't show or be accessible on the front end.

the classes are output using url segments and some url 'rewriting' logic that was demonstrated by Ryan's CMS Critic case study.

• Like 4

you would create a processwire template that hold the relevant fields for your database, then import or enter your data in the admin; now you have a database that you can 'query' using processwire api selectors and you can also setup all kinds of relational stuff using the fieldtype page