Glitches on the wiki tutorial --Simple Gallery System

metroroland

Hi there, just gone thought this tutorial and find some glitches that may trap some people. Since I don't have a wiki account, I would like to point it out here.

In the section 'Installing JQuery and Plugins' the script reference have a wrong path. The folder processWire used are scripts and styles ,not js and css

In the section 'Function albumShow()', script reference at Line 64, the variable missed a 'n'. The correct line should be 

$thumbsize = wire("page")->gallery_thumbnail_size;

Hope improvement  in wiki can be carried out and help more people to learn processWire ;)

• Like 1

Welcome to PW metroroland!

I have corrected the 'Function albumShow()' error, and will get around to checking that the js/scripts & css/styles changes don't break anything else in the tutorials, as this tut is based on another, and I don't want to introduce any additional inconsistencies. (Unless anyone else has time before me?)

It would perhaps be interesting to have some feedback about how useful you find these tutorials, metroroland - you have obviously followed this one closely, to find these errors. What level of expertise would you class yourself, and have these tuts helped?  :)

Hi DaveP,

Thanks for your fast and friendly response. I think I am moderate(is this word correct?) as I still need to follow tutorials to get started.I developed in Joomla and Wordpress(Modifying template for Joomla,modifying template and create some simple plugin for wordpress). I think the idea behind PW is innovative since the concept on client side and server side is united. I think the most important part of the tutorials are that I now have a basic understand the relation between templates and fields. For instance ,how they interact with each other.Each template have fields that let the template file to use it.

Following the basic tutorials are quite useful, as the tutorials are long ,and involving different sections of the admin panel. 

At this stage, I would like to explore on how PW can get more functionality such as blogging and plugging in an forum. I am not sure if this violate the 'minimal' philosophy .Yet for such a neat CMF, I think it can perform something even beyond Joomla and Wordpress, provided it has more site profile that suits the developer or even user. 

One thing that can be imagine is that  when pages get more, it will be more difficult to manage the pages and the templates.If I have more time developing with PW in the future, I may try to invent some kind of page management plugin.

ps. one more request on the tutorial: on the basic website tutorial,section 3.4 updating JQuery, there is something missing leading. The last sentence goes,

Delete the jQuery....Download the most recent version...Put it...

Before I view the template files, I was wondering whether there is some magic that PW can recognise different jquery version, as usual jquery library file name consists of the version of it. It turns out that I should also  change the template file to let PW load the new version jQuery. Perhaps some improvement can be made on it?