Field type select

Frank Vèssia

I need to create profile pages o a website. A profile contains a field named country. When i create a new profile i want to have a select with all the countries i can choose. I saw i can have this linking pages and choosing a page with a select but i cannot create a page for every country. Is there a better solution?

Thanks

I don't think there is currently better solution

Why can you create page for every country? with API, you can automatize it, i.e. create template, which parses some CSV and adds children to a hidden page, call it once and you're all done.

Is there any problem with this?

Actually, hidden pages are ideal. Just put them into root next to 404 and other hidden pages. Have one root with url '/countries/' and in your template, you'll even have quite self-explaining code like

echo '<select>';
  foreach ($pages->get('/countries/')->children() as $country)
    echo "<option value='{$country->name}'>{$country->title}</option>";
  echo '</select>';

note: this is considering you left original 'title' field as name for that country

this all is good, when you don't wish to have any content for countries. If you do, reconsider placement of 'countries' parent to be better placed in your site structure

More information about data import automation: How do I import lots of data into pages?

I agree with what Adam has recommended here. In my sites, I usually create a /config/ page that is hidden, and then place all my selectable pages under there, like /config/countries/, /config/states/, etc. Note that you don't want your actual 'country' pages to be hidden, just the main '/config/' (or /countries/ if you are using that). The advantage of keeping these as pages is that it's easy to add/edit them, and it's easy to setup a template that could list everything in a particular country, for example. Viewing /countries/france/ can produce a list of all pages that have it selected... a huge benefit. If your sites have highly relational structures like this (with indexable URLs) your search engine performance will benefit greatly, and it's just really useful to have for may reasons, taking almost no work on your part.