Unable to complete request... no error log, debug or email.

Fourjays

Hi,

ProcessWire has been great so far when developing locally and uploading via SFTP to a development server. However, I have now switched to using git deployment for my site and have hit a brick wall with "Unable to complete this request due to an error." I've read the thread about what to check, except I am getting no messages in the error log, turning debug on doesn't change anything and I'm not receiving any email. I'll go into details...

When I first tried ProcessWire I just edited files via my IDE and had it upload them via SFTP. The installer was run on the development server. This worked great and that copy remains fully functional. While doing this, I was also commiting everything to git. (I'd usually develop on a local server then FTP files to the server when done, but I've been trying new development methods recently.)

At the start of this week I decided I'd prefer to develop on a local server so I set that up, pointed it where the files had been edited locally and everything immediately ran fine (no installation required) with the necessary database alterations in config.php.

I continued commiting to git. Today I decided I'd try pulling the files from git to the development server, instead of using SFTP, so I can take full advantage of the version control. I did this to a new subdomain and directory so it didn't affect the previous development server installation (in case things went wrong). I edited the config with the database settings and tried to run it. And all I get from it is the "Unable to complete this request due to an error." message. It is the exact same server and database as the previous development server installation - all that is different is it was pulled from a git repo and I didn't run the installer (which didn't matter for the local server).

I enabled debug mode and set an email address in the config... I get nothing other than that same message, and no emails are received. I've checked assets/logs/errors.txt and I get nothing there either (I even created the file manually and made sure permissions were the same as on the working copy).

Ok, so I started looking at different between the two copies on this server... I've ensured file permissions and ownership are the same. The config file is where it should be. I've even copied the whole assets directory from the working copy to the broken copy... no change.

The only other difference is the location. The local copy is at localhost/mysite, the working development server copy is at dev.mysite.com and the broken development server copy is at dev2.mylivesite.com/mysite.

Ideas?

Thanks

Nope, MySQL is running. The working copy and the broken copy use the same database, server (VPS), etc. Just located on different sub-domains/directories and created differently (working one uploaded, installer run - second one pulled from a git repo created from the first).

Pulled from github? Are really all files being pulled?

"Unable to complete this request due to an error." And no error logged even with debug mode on? Are you sure? That sounds strange. Looks to me like some files are missing or corrupt maybe? Or cache?

Sounds rather odd. Taking a look at /wire/core/ProcessWire.php you should definitely see something else when debug mode is enabled -- this almost sounds like you're editing wrong site or there's something wrong with config itself (just guessing.)

Any chance you could add some debug code to said file, just to make sure that it's the right place? :)

Also: if you've set admin email in config, you should see following message:

if($config && $config->adminEmail) $who .= "Administrator has been notified. ";

Does that show up? Oh, and which version of PW are you running by the way? :)

Pulled from github? Are really all files being pulled?

"Unable to complete this request due to an error." And no error logged even with debug mode on? Are you sure? That sounds strange. Looks to me like some files are missing or corrupt maybe? Or cache?

Pulled from Bitbucket. It is my own repo for work I do on templates. I've gone through the folders of the one that isn't working one by one comparing file permissions with the working copy. Everything is there, although I had to manually create the various assets directories. I'll try uploading the same set of files via FTP tomorrow to rule out the Git repo.

No error logged with debug mode on (doesn't even create the file), no email sent, no errors output. I've gone into php.ini and set display_errors to "On" and restarted httpd, but that made no difference (unless I've got the wrong php.ini, but I'll double check that tomorrow). There is APC on the server, but the original install of ProcessWire has no problems, so I doubt that is it...

Sounds rather odd. Taking a look at /wire/core/ProcessWire.php you should definitely see something else when debug mode is enabled -- this almost sounds like you're editing wrong site or there's something wrong with config itself (just guessing.)

Any chance you could add some debug code to said file, just to make sure that it's the right place? :)

Also: if you've set admin email in config, you should see following message:

if($config && $config->adminEmail) $who .= "Administrator has been notified. ";

Does that show up? Oh, and which version of PW are you running by the way? :)

I thought I might be editing the wrong site several times too, but I'm not. Just confirmed it by adding some text to the error message in ProcessWire.php, which showed up.

Nope, that additional message doesn't show up with the email notification enabled.

And the config.php is an exact copy from the working install. To all intents and purposes the site that is broken is exactly the same as the one that is already working on the same server... is just in a different place and "uploaded" via a different method. Which is what makes it so odd.

It is ProcessWire 2.2.

How very annoying... it works without explanation.

I uploaded my local files via FTP, and that worked. I then downloaded a zip from the repo and uploaded that via FTP, which also worked. I then created a new directory and cloned the repo to there, and it also worked. But still the broken site wouldn't respond, and Git seemed to think it was the same as the repo. So I deleted it, recreated the directory and cloned the repo again... and it worked! Yet that is exactly how it was created in the first place.

Hate it when something gets fixed without any "real" explanation. Can only guess a file was corrupted as suggested by Soma.

Thanks for your help. At least got my looking in the right places.

• Like 1