PW 3.0.235 – Core updates

ryan

This week on the dev branch is ProcessWire version 3.0.235. Relative to the previous version, this one contains 19 commits of fixes and feature additions (see commit log).

As mentioned last week, this version adds support for custom repeater page classes. Another significant addition was the upgrade from TinyMCE 6.4.1 to 6.8.2, which covers 13 TinyMCE versions with hundreds fixes, improvements and additions (see TinyMCE changelog for all the details). 

I did also try to upgrade CKEditor to the latest version (which is also the final open source version of CKEditor 4), but found it was making outbound http requests to ckeditor.com, so I reverted to the previous version. Presumably that was just to preform version checks, but what's the point if it's the final version ever... previous versions didn't do that. It also seemed like it could be for some kind of tracking, so I decided to leave it out for now and revisit it later. 

Lastly, this dev version of ProcessWire adds an improvement to the ProcessWire installer. Now you can choose either "hostname" or "socket" as the DB connection type. Depending on what you choose, it'll provide the appropriate inputs. Previously the installer did not support a socket DB connection option. Thanks for reading and have a great weekend! 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

I did also try to upgrade CKEditor to the latest version (which is also the final open source version of CKEditor 4), but found it was making outbound http requests to ckeditor.com

According to https://github.com/ckeditor/ckeditor4/issues/5510 it was indeed added to check if the installed version is up to date, but that's still unexpected and — in my opinion — just plain nasty. There should be absolutely no reason for CKEditor to "call home", except perhaps for those subscribing to their commercial LTS version. And if that feature was added just to push paid subscriptions to existing users once security issues are inevitably found from the free version, that doesn't make it any better.

Thought about posting a question about that in the issue, but look like they've disabled commenting; doesn't seem like they're interested in open discussion.

Migration to TinyMCE feels more and more like the right move 🙂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

On 1/20/2024 at 2:51 AM, ryan said:

This week on the dev branch is ProcessWire version 3.0.235. Relative to the previous version, this one contains 19 commits of fixes and feature additions (see commit log).

As mentioned last week, this version adds support for custom repeater page classes. Another significant addition was the upgrade from TinyMCE 6.4.1 to 6.8.2, which covers 13 TinyMCE versions with hundreds fixes, improvements and additions (see TinyMCE changelog for all the details). 

I did also try to upgrade CKEditor to the latest version (which is also the final open source version of CKEditor 4), but found it was making outbound http requests to ckeditor.com, so I reverted to the previous version. Presumably that was just to preform version checks, but what's the point if it's the final version ever... previous versions didn't do that. It also seemed like it could be for some kind of tracking, so I decided to leave it out for now and revisit it later. 

Lastly, this dev version of ProcessWire adds an improvement to the ProcessWire installer. Now you can choose either "hostname" or "socket" as the DB connection type. Depending on what you choose, it'll provide the appropriate inputs. Previously the installer did not support a socket DB connection option. Thanks for reading and have a great weekend! 

Thanks for the info, I really like it.

Edit: I appreciate you for giving us useful content 🙂