Edward Tifte Fans?

MatthewSchenker

Greetings Ryan,

That's the guy...

I studied his work in grad school, and have always thought about it.  But the more design/development work I do, the more relevance I see in Tufte's materials on presenting visual information, conveying lots of information in the most concise manner, making graphical presentations smart, and the accuracy/ethics of such presentations.

And as I go deeper into ProcessWire, I am seeing a whole new level of connection here.

Even though his ideas came before the graphical Web, his material was made for these times!

Thanks,

Matthew

Just looked him up on Wikipedia - reminds me of my brother's ex boss from the 70s, Ed Ross who invented the statistical surveying software Quantum.

Not sure I agree with his views on PowerPoint though - seems he has missed the idea of being entertaining while presenting. More props the better, is what I say - and if they are over simplified and idiotic, better still.

But then, this maybe why when I did some lectures on sound techniques I was more popular than the prof who proceeded me! :) (I point blank refused to give out briefing notes - why spoil the surprise?)

My favourite was the overhead projector with lots of cells - you could get very dramatic with them!

Oh, I rarely faced them straight on - far more likely to sneak up behind them and yell.

I once took a microphone in to show some students that Jim Hendrix had used to record vocals at one time. They were all "wow," and "cool man" - so I didn't have the heart to point out that it was currently used as the talk-back mic stuck on an old mixing desk.

I mean, an old mic is just an old mic in reality.