Moving pages in admin/page tree view

AndrewB

I have one simple question regarding "move" function in tree view:

01.jpg.01fa09fe09a7c5907cbb334ebf199096.jpg

It is pretty obvious how to move a page to another node that already has childrens or change order of slibings.

02.jpg.c7431a432083cb5c2d060c1a91be5566.jpg

But how to move a page under a node without any children? In the above context - how to move "Child page example 2" under "Child page example 1" - as a new child?

Sorry if this is some kind of common knowledge, but I'm completely new to PW, for me this is deal breaker feature, and I'm unable to figure it out myself. 

• Like 1

Hi, welcome to ProcessWire and the forums!

You have to click on “Child page example 1” first, and only then move the other page. Clicking on the new parent “opens” it, which is only really noticable in the UI by the line underneath it the background becoming slightly darker (when using Admin Theme Uikit). I agree this is way too obscure, although having to open the parent before adding a child is somewhat logical. In other systems often the parent can be coerced into opening by hovering the dragged child over it a little. That seems like a worthwhile idea here, too.

• Like 1

Thank you for your answer @Jan Romero!

I was trying to do what you just described for the last couple of minutes - and I fell again...

Perhaps I had described something in a wrong way. Let me try again.

This is the current state:

01.jpg.d5aad69c44b83b86442d3f4f1da3a3e3.jpg

And I want to do something like that: remove "B" as sibling to "A", and make it children of "A", precisely like that:

02.jpg.d27eb4296873765f5ea23643a55a7884.jpg

No, a wasn't able to do it in ProcessWire  ;) :)  I made above pic in Photoshop. 

When I'm trying to move "B" under "A" (not in terms of order, but as a child - an indented object) by dragging it and trying to drop a little to the right - nothing is happening. I can only change order (e.g. put "B" before "A").

03.jpg.1293ebaf7775884cc8d1290c37077b4a.jpg

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the tip on pre-selecting the new parent. I long ago gave up trying to use the Move button for anything but reordering among siblings; I find it simpler and more reliable to change the Parent in the page's Settings tab (once I'd found out that was where it was located!).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kp52 said:

[one can] change the Parent in the page's Settings tab 

OMG I wasn't aware, thanks! "Children" tab is pretty obvious, but this "Parent" section...  suffice to say that I thought that there was no such such option at all ;)