Converting events website to PW

jacmaes

I'd like to convert an existing Website of mine (that does not use a CMS) to PW to be able to update it easily. Problem is, I don't know how to deal with more complex queries such as this one:

<?
$tomorrow = date('Y-m-d',mktime(0,0,0,date('m'), date('d')+1, date('Y')));

// Tomorrow's events
$query_tomorrow = "SELECT id, city, event, category, description, DATE_FORMAT(date_start,'%M %D') as datestart, DATE_FORMAT(date_end,'%M %D') as dateend FROM events WHERE disabled != '1' AND (
(date_start = '$tomorrow')
OR (date_start <= '$tomorrow' AND date_end >= '$tomorrow')
)
ORDER BY date_start DESC";
?>

I want to show tomorrow's events, so I'm selecting all events that I marked as active (disabled != '1', because they have not been cancelled for example) and that are either:

1. ongoing but will not end today,

2. or will start tomorrow.

How would I achieve the exact same query with PW?

Thanks in advance.

This selector should accomplish that:

$pages->find("template=event, date_end>=tomorrow, date_start<=tomorrow +1 day, sort=-date_start"); 

For disabled events, I would suggest just using PW's 'unpublished' or 'hidden' status, which will eliminate them from your queries automatically. Though you certainly could add an extra "toggle_disabled" checkbox if you wanted to, and include that in your selector.

• Like 1

Btw, not sure if this was clear, but I'm using the terms "tomorrow" and "tomorrow +1 day" literally in the selector. You don't have to substitute a variable for those, as it should recognize those terms (it uses PHP's strtotime to translate internally).

Thanks for the clarification. Even shorter that way! Would it work the same for "today" then?

Also, now that I'm reading your code again, I'm not sure I understand

date_start<=tomorrow +1 day

Finally, In my current setup, one-day events do not have an end date, .i.e. I specify a start date but leave the date_end field blank. Would I need to do it anyway with the proposed code? I'm probably making things overly complex. Dates are confusing.

Would it work the same for "today" then?

It'll work with anything that strtotime() recognizes, and I think 'today' is recognized by strtotime.

Finally, In my current setup, one-day events do not have an end date, .i.e. I specify a start date but leave the date_end field blank. Would I need to do it anyway with the proposed code?

Yes, you would need the date_end field set. Date calculations use unix timestamps so if date_end is participating in any logic, then it would need to carry the date that the event ends, whether it's the same as date_start or some time later. If you don't want to have to remember to do that when editing an event, it could be automated fairly easily with a simple module (let me know if you want more details).