Collapsing the page tree: Suggestion

ottogal

Collapsing the PageList tree was introduced in PW 3.0.13 - see this Blog entry:

Option to collapse PageList tree

Clicking the root "Home" link in your PageList navigation now collapses all open branches in the tree. This has a good use case now that the PageList tree always remembers where you last left it. So if you've got a bunch of open PageList branches that you want to collapse quickly, just click the "Home" item at the top!

I would like to suggest that collapsing the tree should work stepwise - in that way, that in each step only the lowest level is affected.

Imagine this partially unfolded tree:

Home
- One-A    3
-- Two-A1    2
--- Three-A11
--- Three-A12
-- Two-A2    2
-- Two-A3    2
- One-B    2
-- Two-B1    4
-- Two-B2    3
- One-C    3
-- Two-C1  
-- Two-C2    1
--- Three-C21
-- Two-C3    2

1st click on "Home" would result in

Home
- One-A    3
-- Two-A1    2
-- Two-A2    2
-- Two-A3    2
- One-B    2
-- Two-B1    4
-- Two-B2    3
- One-C    3
-- Two-C1  
-- Two-C2    1
-- Two-C3    2

2nd click:

Home
- One-A    3
- One-B    2
- One-C    3

I'd find this very handy - what do you think?

• Like 1

Well, the current implementation seems to be inconsistent. Let's say Home is level0 and I have a tree form level0 to level3. When I have level3 open, by clicking on Home level3 and level2 are closed up, level1 remains open.

Levels should be closed either:

1. level-by-level , I mean stepwise, as ottogal pointed out above: e.g. by clicking on the Name Title
  2. the complete subtree: e.g. by clicking on an icon between Name and the number of usage count

Edit: Title vs Name

Edited by szabesz

clicking on the Name

You mean title, not name? But this already collapses the complete subtree. (Not sure to understand you right.)

What I aimed to is to collapse by one click all opened pages of the lowest level (more precisely: their parents collapse to not display them).

You mean title, not name? But this already collapses the complete subtree. (Not sure to understand you right.)

Sure, the Tile, thanx for correcting me.

Using my numbering of the levels described above, if we have level1-level2-level3 open and click on level1's Title, then level2-level3 "disappears", so even the direct children are closed up. If you have the same subtree open and click on Home (level0), the direct children of Home do not close up, only level2-level3. You need to click on Home once more to have a completely closed three. Maybe it is intentional, since a completely closed three might not be that useful after all.