Display tag groupings for fields and templates in dropdown menu

Mackski

Possible UI/UX improvement.

Quite often I work with large amounts of fields and templates grouped by various tags. It would be nice to show these tags as the second menu level, and add a third with the actual fields and templates grouped.
Perhaps this could be a $config option?

The dropdown menu for fields can extended page height which is hard to scan read, and select the appropriate field / template sometimes.

• Like 2

• 7 years later...

Thanks @monollonom. That's really useful. I'm in 2 minds about the best way to handle system fields etc. Your module groups any system fields together (even if they are also tagged). That may be the best way, but it does mean that it loses the benefit of tagging any custom system fields.

Ah, good point. I’d say it actually makes sense to show tagged system fields in their respective “folders” (looking back I might have picked the wrong name...) as well since it’s something you’re willingly doing, right?

I’m going to add this and the option mentioned before, post the update here first so you can have a look and if it’s good this way then I’ll push the update.