Favorite function

Frank Vèssia

Hi guys, just a simple logic question:
I'm going to create a list of favorites pictures for each user, using a page field.
my question is: 
it's better to add a page field to the user template and add all favorites pictures there, or add the page field to the picture template and add there the list of all users that added that picture? :)

In the database it’s going to look the same either way: a table with two columns, user id and picture id. But since you probably want to show “this image has been favorited by 43 users”, rather than “this user has favorited 29 pictures”, I’d put it in the picture template. That way you can simply go $page->favs->count(), rather than $users->count("favs={$page->id}"). It would also be easier to select and sort pictures by number of favs.

Have you considered storing the time of the favorite? Maybe this module will be of interest: http://modules.processwire.com/modules/fieldtype-page-with-date/

thanks for the reply, yes I'm gonna use that module, I already used in the past.
regarding the "display of favs" I will show both, the picture page will display all users that added that picture, and in the profile page each user will display the list of favorite pictures, I think the real questions is: there will be more users of pictures in the database? or it doesn't matter for the query?

option A (favs field inside user template)
user profile $user->favs->count()
picture page $users->count("favs={$page->id}") or find("favs={$page->id}")

option B (favs field inside picture template)
user profile $pages->find("template=picture,favs=$user")
picture page $page->favs->count()

I would probably add it to the picture template. Main reason is that it may be easier in the future if you introduce a different page template that also needs favourite functionality.

• Like 2