Mystic "Unknown Selector operator ..."

valan

I'm doing my first steps as module developer and need some help.

Here is my module https://github.com/valieand/GoogleCidCatcher

This module adds hook after login which saves Google Customer ID from browser cookie to user page field 'user_google_cids'.

It seem to work.

But when I try to do the following somewhere in another place:

$module = wire()->modules->get('GoogleCidCatcher');

I get

Error: Exception: Unknown Selector operator: '' -- was your selector value properly escaped? (in /var/www/pw/wire/core/Selectors.php line 283)

What is the reason and how to fix it?

P.S. I can't enable debug mode as its a live site. Btw may be there exist another way to debug this error, less painful for live sites? Thanks.

But when I try to do the following somewhere in another place:

$module = wire()->modules->get('GoogleCidCatcher');
I get
Error: Exception: Unknown Selector operator: '' -- was your selector value properly escaped? (in /var/www/pw/wire/core/Selectors.php line 283)
What is the reason and how to fix it?

That syntax doesn't look right to me. If in a template file, you can call your module like this:

$gCatcher = $modules->get("GoogleCidCatcher");

If in a function in a template file:

$gCatcher = wire('modules')->get('GoogleCidCatcher');

If in a module you could use:

$gCatcher = $this->modules->get('GoogleCidCatcher');

P.S. I can't enable debug mode as its a live site. Btw may be there exist another way to debug this error, less painful for live sites? Thanks.

I can't find it now, but there is a way you can load a custom /site/config.php/ e.g. when logged as a superuser, load /site/dev.config.php.

Any reason why you can't debug your module locally?

Edited by kongondo

@kongondo: 

- syntax is ok. I use it almost everywhere and it works w/o problems. E.g. wire()->pages, etc. Problem should be somewhere else. Could it be connected with autoload/singular module settings? Or use of __constructor()? I can't understand...

- thanks for idea with custom config file for loggedin superuser. Is there any module for that? I'll experiment with it. I guess its a matter of setting $config->debug = true on each request, immediately after $config is initialized. But don't know which hook to use so far...

- I don't use local/dev instance - its too time-consuming to keep things aligned/consistent in two systems.

It's hard to debug without seeing the whole context. But the error message is clear, there's a problem somewhere with some selector. Problem is without debug on, you cannot really tell which line in what file is causing the error. What does your error.txt file say? 

@valan

Looking through your code, I think that the problem could be this line: https://github.com/valieand/GoogleCidCatcher/blob/master/GoogleCidCatcher.module#L195

If your array is empty, you get a strange selector string. Also you are using array_filter without actually filtering anything in the array, not sure how PHP behaves. Normally you'd need to pass a closure as second argument, see: http://php.net/manual/en/function.array-filter.php

Edit: Ok just read the docs, if you omit the closure as second argument when using array_filter, all FALSE entries are removed. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...