Redactor WYSIWYG Editor

renobird

Looks like there are a few other CMS's (including perch) using Redactor WYSIWYG editor.

I'm jealous seeing the other kids playing with a toy that I want and don't have. :P

This came up before in another topic, and it sounds like there are possibly some licensing issues.

Thought I'd start a topic specifically to discuss this—incase there is any possibility of adding it to Processwire.

I don't have enough knowledge about the licensing, or the skills to turn this into a module—but I make a great cheerleader!

Wait... that didn't sound right.

• Like 3

start the cheerleading then:

OEM version, $399: "I'm a developer and I make an open-source product (CMS, service, etc)."

Seems that they changed the pricing a bit, previously it was covered by the $199 license.

Edit: Perch do have it little easier… price for them is only $199… and their CMS is paid.

• Like 2

20 contributors at $20 each. I'm good for 2 spots.

Tom, if this is as good as it looks and it won't let horrid HTML (font tags etc) in (which I'm sure it won't if you're up for it) then I'm good for two more.

So if I understand this that means 16 left to find and once found someone cleverer than me to make it a module.

So if I continue to understand this then that means PW forever-more has this new editor and no payments needed by me or others to use PW with the editor.

Does that sound right? Anyone? Anyone? [channeling Ferris Bueller]

• Like 2

If you guys see another GNU open source licensed CMS using this, then I'll assume that means we can too. Perch isn't a GNU/open source, so they don't have to consider the issue. If there's a way to make it legal, I'll be glad to handle the dev side of making this Inputfield if others want to chip in to buy the necessary license. But just the fact that it's necessary to buy a license makes me think it's not technically GNU compatible... could land us in hot water to distribute it with PW. Another way to do it would be to make it a commercial module (like Form Builder) where it doesn't come with PW, but you can add it on separately. That way the distribution is controlled in the same manner as Redactor, which would keep it legal.

• Like 2

Their OEM license seems to be pretty clear:

• Integration with open-source CMS/software
  • Integration with products/services for developers, who will then create their own products for the end users

But I also think that shipping redactor as a separate module (os or commercial) would be a good idea, just to be on safe waters with PW-core. I have no idea what shipping that kind of software within GPL-licensed software means.

Also took a look at their docs. Implementing that would be a pleasure compared to TinyMCE... had once to build a plugin in tinymce and it was a nightmare.

• Like 1

Another way to do it would be to make it a commercial module (like Form Builder) where it doesn't come with PW, but you can add it on separately. That way the distribution is controlled in the same manner as Redactor, which would keep it legal.

A solution that removes all doubt over licencing sounds ideal. If it was a chargeable PW Module priced to be very attractive to all-commers then I think this approach sounds ideal.

• Like 1

Integration with open-source CMS/software

But there's a difference between integration and distribution. If it was really GNU compatible, then I could take Redactor and make my own version that just changes the name (RyRedactor), and then offer it available for use to anyone for free. At that point, people would no longer have to pay for Redactor. As a result, I think when they say "integration with open source software" they aren't telling the full story. But if we can find an example of another GNU open source software doing it, then we can follow their lead.

• Like 2

Could it just be a non-core module that is free? In that case it doesn't ship with PW, but it's still "integrated" and should fall under their license.

Sounds too simple, someone please come and crush my logic here. :)

Sadly I think your logic Tom could be crushed where it says

Redactor has three different licenses available for use.

and then goes on to show a $cost for for each of the three licence types. Off to go read some more though...

PS: Near the top of the licence page it says

If you have specific installation needs not covered by this license, please contact us.

So if we could frame the question well here first, someone could write to ask them; I'd be happy to if it's helpful, but wouldn't dream of doing so if Ryan/core devs didn't want this done or wanted to do this themselves at a time convenient to them.

Edited by alanfluff

Ah, Ok.

I've not yet garnered the distinction about it whether it ships or not with PW making a difference, I must go re-read.

Reading the OEM part it says

However, neither license holder nor license holder’s clients can sell Redactor as a sole product (with or without modification);

I assume these dfinitions:

license holder = ProcessWire.com/Ryan (I assume)

license holder’s clients = people who use or make PW Modules

This seems to suggest a PW Module of this should not be sold. As I said, I must go re-read...

Ryan; not trying to be pushy here (I'm sure you know that), in case it was of some help I knocked up this draft letter that you/ProcessWire could edit and/or send to ask the owners if they could help answer this question. The link is editable so right now (2012-10-12-1733 EST) it's showing my draft, apologies if someone on the interwebs goes and hacks it before you see it, if so let me know and I'll message it to you. I left it editable so anyone could improve it (I'm no lawyer so I'm sure it could be improved on). Hope it's of some help and no worries if you ignore this due to other priorities or for any other reason, happy to do it on the off chance it could be of some help.

• Like 2

Thanks Alan, that looks like a good letter. I had a little trouble figuring out how to contact them, so sent to their support email address. If I don't get a response, I'll try to contact them via Twitter.