Comparison with the Perch CMS (And what are we missing)

Philipp

I meet a nice group of designers and developers yesterday and some of the mentioned a CMS called Perch. Interested, I’ve looked at their page. A nice and small CMS. Really great introduction and nice copy writing but it didn’t convince me to switch away from ProcessWire J

Meanwhile, I’ve found a table that compares their two versions (“normal” and runway).  I added ProcessWire to this comparions in my break, that’s what I got:

post-752-0-39683100-1414686128_thumb.png

We can really keep up with most of the features. I  even think ProcessWire has a wider range of possibilities and scales as easy as them. But maybe we can try to improve the areas, where Perch “would have won” like the CDN/S3 Layer and the Draft,Undo etc. features.  I think those features are not something like pre-defined fields and tables but more something that would really improve ProcessWire as a tool for developers and designers.

Maybe we can have a look at popular features on other systems (beside the large ones like WordPress) and try to find a solution on how to do this in ProcessWire. Not adding it to the core, but maybe provide it as modules and/or guidelines.

EDIT: Maybe I should mention, that a Dashboard-Widget would be really low-priority ;)

• Like 5

Not a bad idea at all, as long as it's approached with some common sense ("dashboard widgets" don't really make any sense in ProcessWire context, though if you want to, you can build entirely customised dashboard with ease, etc.)

About the list above, there's a module for "Preview", and Version Control provides an "undo" type of feature, though I don't know what those exactly mean in Perch. Also, regarding cloud storage and backups, there's Schedule Cloud Backups and Amazon S3 Cloudfront (also related to the CDN part). Again, I'm not sure how Perch approaches these things, so this might be a different thing entirely :)