Making a bike-club site

PeterDK

Hello!

My first big project is going to be a website of a biking club.

They have about 300 members spread out over the last 40 years.

> I'm planning to use 'normal' users and groups, to assign the members to. The groups could indicate which years they were a member of the club

Each year they ride out 60 times. From one ride (custom template) i'm going to keep the 'length', some text, pictures, a gpx file and of course who was riding!

> Someone did this already? Accept gpx and output google map, elevation and speed graph? Pointers welcome ;-)

> Can I easily select the riders in a form (I know it's just a special 'page') but I would like to filter all users by 'this years membership' for making this as easy as possible.

Statistics is the main event of this site. Would it be possible given my ideas above to generate a graph for each rider (user) how many 'miles' they have ridden per year? How many rides per year? (this 'statspage' is in dutch).

How could I approach this and create a high performance query.

It would be an option to calculate the stats one time and save the results (instead of 'dynamically').

Can someone validate my idea and approach? With modules could i use? Any  pitfalls?

EDIT: Every rider has a counter with how many 'miles' they have ridden in total, this can be calculated from all the rides. Is it possible to sort on that  field? 

Edited by PeterDK

Hi Peter,

Welcome to PW!

I apologise as I am a bit tight on time here but needless to say this all sounds very do-able in PW. There are many different ways of going about it however. One such way is, as you say, to use the in-built users.

My personal advice would be to create pages for your users. You could always tie them to user groups (other pages) through page reference fields.

Each "cyclist" template could have the necessary fields (distance, groups etc).

In terms of updating the statistics, it depends really though my preference would be to create "front-end forms" (create your own forms using ProcessWire's API) then you may create forms such as "Add Bike Ride" whereby you could choose who has completed it, how far it was... And then have control over what happens to the data.

This could also be achieved by creating your own module and still using the admin side to add data.

It's quite to hard to explain this and sometimes the best way is to try it out in a small way, then we can give you pointers as you go.

If you do some searching of the forum you will see there have been quite a few similar projects

• Like 2