Adding user instructions to a template

Sinmok

Hi all,

I'm wondering what the best approach is to add instructions to a template.

For example, if you download the Hanna code module and click 'Code', at the bottom of the page there's a section called 'PHP and JavaScript usage notes' which contains instructions.

Screenshot

If I wanted to add similar instructions to a template of my own, how would I go about doing this?

Cheers

There are two ways

First of all, each field has a description and these can be changed on a Template to template basis.

Secondly, Soma has put together a very useful module that simply adds a help tab to templates if an associated help files is created. This would just be a file with notes for the template written out as html. Full instructions are with the module.

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/template-notes/

I have used this a couple of times now and the clients really like it. Basically, I write the fuller instructions in the help file, including outside references if needed, like to their own company policy or the TinyMCE manual and also any notes about style or SEO considerations and so on. I then only use the description fields as very short reminders, if at all.

The resulting forms are much cleaner and yet the client has lots of information at their disposal.

• Like 4