Messed with fieldgroup 'user' and now I can't change fieldgroups in template

landitus

Hi! I am really stuck with this. I accidentally assigned the fieldgroup 'user' to one of my templates and now I can't remove it cause it says it has permanent fields! I guess I shoudl turn off the advanced settings preference (If anyone can remind me how). How can I change the Fieldgroup from 'user' to my own

post-243-132614278949_thumb.png

ProcessWire's API prevents changes to some system templates/fields, so you have to go behind it's back and use a DB query. So to switch it back to the previous fieldgroup, insert this into one of your templates temporarily and view a page using the template (like your homepage):

<?php
$name = "name-of-template-you-want-to-fix"; 
$template = $templates->get($name); 
$fieldgroup = $fieldgroups->get($name);
$db->query("UPDATE templates SET fieldgroups_id={$fieldgroup->id} WHERE id={$template->id}");

Once you do that, it should be fixed and you can delete the above code snippet.

To turn off advanced mode, edit your /site/config.php and locate the line that says $config->advanced = true; and change it to false.

Ryan, I actually had to templates with the same problem, the last one having placed the field "process" by mistake. I tryed to repeat the working code (with different template name in the code") but still get the error about permanent fields. Is this supposed to be like this?

PS: I've definitely turned off advanced mode for now!  :P

The advanced mode is meant for PW system development, so it'll let you do things that aren't reversible in the API. However, advanced mode won't let you start removing permanent/system fields because then you really could break the system in a way that would be difficult to fix, even from the DB. In your case, you've added a system field, which is something different from changing the fieldgroup of a template. I think this will fix it:

<?php
$name = "name-of-template-you-want-to-fix";
$field = $fields->get("process"); // or substitute name of field you want to remove
$fieldgroup = $fieldgroups->get($name); 
$db->query("DELETE FROM fieldgroups_fields WHERE fieldgroups_id={$fieldgroup->id} AND fields_id={$field->id} LIMIT 1"); 

With regard to advanced mode, I don't personally use it (or recommend using it) unless you are developing an addon module and need some advanced feature in a template or field that comes with your module. Advanced mode isn't meant for site development. I may need to clarify that more in the docs.