Front-end user support

kristof.db

Hi i'm Kristof from Belgium and I'm new here.

Let me start first by saying I'm highly impressed by ProcessWire and although i haven't yet, except for the demos and installing it locally, i can't wait to get my feet wet and start playing around with it.

However i have a small question concerning user interaction. I don't know if this has been asked before or documented anywhere, i searched a bit but couldn't find a direct answer.

Does PW support front-end user interaction? For example, can i allow for registered users to have them submit content through a form on the front-end side of the website to certain pages or maintain personal profiles etc? If it doesn't I think this would be a very appealing feature for PW to attract more users and developers.

Thanks in advance!

Kristof, thanks for your message. Good to hear from Belgium!

If you are looking for front-end user interaction like you see with Drupal, that's something that ProcessWire doesn't emphasize very heavily at this stage. In part, because I am a fan of Drupal for that type of site. That will change with time as more and more ProcessWire modules become available.

On the other hand, you certainly can do any type of front-end features that you want if you don't mind some development. An example can be found on the Templates and API forum where a user asked about how to save contact form submissions as pages. And there was also a question about how to setup pages that users could login to:

http://processwire.com/talk/index.php/topic,22.0.html

http://processwire.com/talk/index.php/topic,17.0.html

This sort of stuff is pretty easy to do in ProcessWire, but to do these things you have to think of ProcessWire as a tool that you can make it do whatever you want, rather than as a ready-to-go solution. With time, we will provide lots of good starting points for these things, including multiple site profiles.