Deploy database but not users

thomas.isberg

Hi!

I have a website where users register and become members. Naturally I create a PW user for every new member, and use PW's login functionality.

I want to go live with the website, but also want to continue development. I have a lot of ideas and would like to update the website with new templates and stuff once a day for a few weeks now, and then maybe once a week while adding new features.

I usually export my entire local database when I update the website, and then import it on the server. But if I do that, every new website member on the live website will get lost.

Does anyone have a good idea on how to approach this? I thought about exporting all the members to file before I import the new database, and then import them again, but:

a) It just doesn't feel safe.

b) I can't figure out how to set their passwords right during import. Export gives me hashed passwords.

Cheers and thanks!

.Thomas

Thanks! I read the forum thread and realize that every website that need to be updated deals with this issue, since editorial content is likely created on the live server. I only thought of the problem with my users, since I'm in development phase and make every update locally before I publish live.

Thanks also for your tips from Google!