Using context-dependent labels for fields in repeater labels

MarkE

Repeater fields allow you to customise the labels - eg '#n {title}' where title is a field within the repeater field. One of my repeaters includes a (3 position) toggle field 'motif_toggle_position': the base field has just 'Yes', 'No' and 'Other' labels for the three positions, but I have modifield this in the repeater field template context to be 'Left', 'Centre' and 'Right'. It is those context-dependent labels that I want to appear in my repeater field labels. '#n {motif_toggle_position}' gives me the base field labels, not the context-dependent labels; how do I achieve that?

My friendly AI suggests using a hook on ProcessPageEdit::buildForm (hooks with subtle syntactical errors seem to be its solution to most problems ?) but I was hoping there would be a more 'natural' way. In fact, given that the repeater label is within the repeater field template context, I don't understand why the base field labels are given in preference to the context ones anyway.

Can you try the following ready.php snippet (can't test it myself right now):

<?php

wire()->addHookAfter('FieldtypeRepeater::wakeupValue', function(HookEvent $event) {

$field = $event->arguments('field');
  $page = $event->arguments('page');
  // The return value of wakeupValue is a RepeaterPageArray or subclass of it
  $repPageArray = $event->return;

if($field->hasContext($page)) {
    $field = $field->getContext($page);
    $repPageArray->setField($field);
  }

});

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BitPoet said:

Can you try the following ready.php snippet

Thanks @BitPoet. I can't get that to work, but this does work:

$this->wire()->addHookAfter('ProcessPageEdit::buildForm', function(HookEvent $event) {
			$form = $event->return;
			foreach($form->getAll() as $f) {
				// Check if this is the repeater field you want to modify
				if($f instanceof InputfieldRepeater && $f->name == 'motif_image_component') {
					foreach($f->value() as $repeaterItem) {
						$toggleField = $repeaterItem->getField('motif_toggle_position');
						$value = $repeaterItem->motif_toggle_position;
						if($toggleField) {
							$yesLabel = $repeaterItem->fieldgroup->getField($toggleField, true)->yesLabel;
							$noLabel = $repeaterItem->fieldgroup->getField($toggleField, true)->noLabel;
							$otherLabel = $repeaterItem->fieldgroup->getField($toggleField, true)->otherLabel;
							$toggleField->set('yesLabel', $yesLabel);
							$toggleField->set('noLabel', $noLabel);
							$toggleField->set('otherLabel', $otherLabel);
						}
					}
				}
			}
		});

I guess it would be nice to make it generic - which your hook tries to be. I can't see how to do that with a buildForm hook. However, I wonder whether it is worth raising an issue here, since surely all labels for a repeater field should be in the repeater field template context?