Passing a page object/ID to ProcessPageEditImageSelect?

I have a site structure with repeaters that contain page select fields, and then I am outputting the content of those page fields in a hierarchical layout.

I'd like to allow users to edit the content on the front-end, and for general text editing this works fine. The changes are saved to the original page, and wherever that page is inserted elsewhere in other layouts the changes are reflected.

When I try to insert an image into that page where no images exist, the system tries to use the layout page where the repeater is, rather than the page selected whose tinymce is being edited. So I have to navigate the page tree down to the original page being entered into the tree.

In most cases it would be redundant to pass an id to the page image select process because you are likely editing the content from the page url - so the url test works. But could that ID also get either passed or tested so that pages rendered as parts of other pages can have their images added to/edited without navigating through the tree to the original?