simple client section

peterb

I need to create a simple client section where:

Clients can register, set & reset there password. Once logged in clients would see there own private page, where I will be uploading PDF's that they can download.

Can anyone recommend a nice php class or jquery plugin that can assist with this and that nicely integrates with processwire? I do not want clients to get to the processwire admin, just there client page.

thanks! Peter

Take a look at this post from awhile back that documents one way to approach it:

http://processwire.com/talk/index.php/topic,17.0.html

There are also some changes in progress for the user system that may be worthwhile for your need as well.

The only concern I have in your instance is the "clients can register" part. That means that you'll have to implement some extra security measures to ensure you don't get millions of automated spammer accounts. :) But I can help you through that. Whereas if you are creating the account and password, you don't have to worry about that aspect.

Changing the password is as simple as:

$user->pass = "new_password"; 
$user->save(); 

But this a security problem from the front-end because we don't have any way to confirm that the user is who they say they are... without them actually being logged in.

In the new user system, an email address will be part of the default user profile. That's one way to confirm a user's identity, and means you'll have the option of sending them an email with a password reset URL. You could implement that approach now by saving account email addresses in some other place. But if you don't need it to happen right away, you might just want to wait for the new user system, which will have this capability built-in.