Batch edit pages based on template?

chadamas

Hello, all! I know that I haven't contributed much here, but I've used ProcessWire quite a bit over the past couple of years and have spent countless hours browsing these forums. Most of the questions I've had were adequately answered without needing to create threads of my own. So, for starters, thank you to Ryan and this community--you all are amazing and ProcessWire is a thing of beauty. 

My question revolves around something that I'm not actually even committed to yet. It would be the biggest project I've ever taken on, by far, and I have no doubt that ProcessWire could handle it, but I'm working through a list of considerations and this one has me doubting my own abilities. If I were to define some pretty specific user roles, each of which had a customized dashboard and one of which (let's call it "manager") could create, read, update, and delete users in the other roles, what would be the best approach to take to allow for batch editing from this customized dashboard?

What I would love to have is a list of users that a manager could edit (search and filters would be available, but that's beyond the scope of this question), with checkboxes so the manager could select individual users. Because of the way this would be set up, all editable users would be using the same page template. When the manager has selected accounts, there should be an Edit option, which basically brings up a blank template with all available fields. The manager completes and submits this form and all of the selected accounts are updated. If a field is left blank, the original value remains in all selected accounts, otherwise it is overwritten by whatever the manager typed/selected. 

I've seen some discussion on things like this, and even a couple of batch-edit modules, but am just not sure if a scenario like this has been addressed. Any thoughts, ideas, or considerations? 

Thank you all!

• Like 1

I think the features of Lister Pro could be suitable. You can set permissions to any given role to access any given Lister, lock down which pages the Lister can display, use Actions to perform bulk field edits for selected pages, and also allow individual fields to be edited inline without needing to open pages for editing. In other words, it's pretty fantastic. :)

• Like 3

Thank you, Robin! Lister Pro seems incredible and I'm actually ashamed that I hadn't given it more of a look. I guess I was approaching this like some of my smaller projects and wasn't giving enough thought to some of the paid modules. A project like this could definitely warrant it, though, and I imagine that module opens up a whole new world of possibilities. I'm going to do some thinking on this before I purchase it, but that is a great suggestion. Thank you again!

• Like 1