memory requirements for module list page

Michael Martinov

Hello,

I just finished my first install of pw on my test server and now test demo site that is included in installation package. When trying to look at "modules" page in admin interface, I get error "page not found" and with debug switched on in config.php out of memory error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 7680 bytes) in /data/www/*/wire/modules/Process/ProcessPageList/ProcessPageList.module on line 44

Several times error was in the same file, but line 54. Memory limit for PHP script was 16M in my config, and when I changed it to 30M, error was gone and I now can see "modules" page. Is this memory requirement normal? I did not install any modules, pw is 2.2 stable, OS is Linux Ubuntu server.

16 or even 30 is quite low for PHP. I don't think I've ever seen it set anything below 128mb personally, which is the default (see this page: http://www.php.net/manual/en/ini.core.php#ini.memory-limit ).

The thing to remember is that it's not the memory required for the page contents, but rather running PHP and querying mySQL to process a given request - at least that's my understanding.

I just tried to reproduce it here, changing my memory limit to 16M and restarting apache. Everything seemed to run fine at 16M. Then I tried again, except this time changing it to 8M -- then I could get memory errors.

While I couldn't get memory errors at 16M, I'm guessing it just depends on your PHP version and perhaps other factors on the server. But I agree that 16 or 30 is probably just too low. 32M would probably be the minimum I would use. The default PHP 5.3 setting (128M) is ideal. If you are using PW for large data imports and such on a dev server, you might even want to go higher (the higher the limit, the more pages you can hold in memory).

• 1 year later...