Editing Fieldsets

coderguy

• 2 weeks later...

In ProcessWire, a Fieldset is technically a type of Field, so the manner in which you edit it is no different than any other field. But what's different is in how you define the scope of the Fieldset. Fieldsets just define a starting and ending point for a group of fields. A fieldset consists of two fields: 'fieldset' and 'fieldset_END', replacing the 'fiieldset' with whatever you named it. Add your starting and ending fieldset fields to a template. Drag the 'fieldset' where you want it to start, and drag the 'fieldset_END' where you want it to end. Then save. The fields between those two will then be grouped in the page editor. Note that tabs work the same way.

Ryan,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  I am just getting started on my first project with processwire and I am very impressed with it.

I have created the fieldsets via the api.  I do not see them anywhere in the fields tab.  I do see the fieldsets on the templates.  If you create it via the api do you have to do anything to get it to show up in the admin interface?

Thanks,

Daniel Ice

I'm not sure why they wouldn't be showing up in your fields list, unless they somehow got system flags. Try clicking in the filter options and 'show built-in fields', to see if they show up there? Another question: what is the name of the fields that you created via the API?

Antti I think you are right, that must be what he's talking about (fieldgroups).

From the admin side of things, Fieldgroups and Templates function as one component. While you can maintain separate Fieldgroups from the API side, you don't have a way to manage them separately from templates in the admin.