Need help locating or creating admin user

debbylevinson

I've been trying to help a colleague whose web developer abandoned him without any instructions on how to update his ProcessWire site -- not even a login or password. Is there any way for me to create a new admin user from scratch, even if it means doing this via phpMyAdmin? Or is there a way for me to recover the name of the admin user somehow from the database? (I've tried the password-reset API calls described elsewhere in the forums, but without knowing the name of the admin account, resetting the password is a bit futile.)

My colleague is running ProcessWire 2.1, as far as I can tell.

Hi Debbylevinson,

A quick one.

The most important thing to do before you try to recover the site is to backup the /site/ folder and the database if you haven't done that already. Make sure you do that before taking any action.

I'm pressed for time ATM but you have several alternatives...Before that...

check in /wire/config.php

There you will see the ID of the superuser and the role ID of the superuser. In PW 2.3 these are 41 and 38 respectively. You can also see this in phMyAdmin if you look under field_roles and pages. So, under the table "pages", find the name of the page with ID 41 (see "name" column). 

If you are still unsure about what to do, I'd be happy to chat via PM.

• Like 2