Integrating Framework Elements Into ProcessWire?

MatthewSchenker

Greetings,

Over the past three years, I have spent a good deal of time learning and using some PHP frameworks: CodeIgniter, Laravel, Symfony, and especially Yii (my favorite).

Then last fall, I began using ProcessWire. Since that time, I have moved my work entirely over to ProcessWire. I have been impressed over and over again with how terrific the "framework" part of ProcessWire works. It reminds me of the best aspects of CodeIgniter and Laravel. In fact, I would say that ProcessWire's syntax and methods are even more efficient than those frameworks. Laravel in particular gets a huge boost from the developer community because of its "expressive" syntax. I wish more of those people knew about ProcessWire!

Still, I do see particular libraries from other frameworks that I think would be nice to integrate into my ProcessWire sites. Also, with ProcessWire possibly adopting Composer, this might open amazing opportunities.

A while back, I started a topic on ProcessWire's framework -> http://processwire.com/talk/topic/2393-processwire-framework/

Now I'm curious to hear from others about your framework experience. Are there any framework libraries you integrate into ProcessWire? What are your general thoughts about this idea?

Thanks,

Matthew

I included the unframework Flourish once to validate forms and send emails. Since PW now has validation and required options for inputfields I don't need it anymore.

I used codeigniter for some years long before PW but haven't since used it or any other framework as I'm very happy with PW.

• Like 3

Greetings,

Yes, I agree. I have not used CodeIgniter or Laravel for new projects since I started using ProcessWire.

Each of the PHP frameworks has some pieces that are useful. Actually, Laravel is now essentially a conglomerate of other libraries. But I really believe that as a whole system, the ProcessWire framework is better.

It's not a pressing issue for me. But I wonder where sharing libraries will allow us to benefit from some existing options, while being happy with the very strong and "expressive" syntax of the core ProcessWire framework.

Thanks,

Matthew

• Like 1

Each of the PHP frameworks has some pieces that are useful.  Actually, Laravel is now essentially a conglomerate of other libraries.  But I really believe that as a whole system, the ProcessWire framework is better.

This is good to hear. While I've not used Laravel, I honestly thought it was a completely different animal in terms of a framework. That being that ProcessWire is a content management framework/system and Laravel is an application framework. But to hear that there is enough crossover that you can accomplish similar things sounds good. Perhaps we should put more focus towards appealing to framework users. I agree with you that once we have Composer support, that will open up a lot of new possibilities.