Different approach for multi-language?

OLSA

Hello for all,

I need to create multilanguage website for non-profit organisation.

"Problem" is that ratio between number of pages for default and additional language is about 10:1 because additional content is only for representation (summary of organisation activities with max. frequency of administration 1 per month).

Currently there is only 1 additional language (default + english), and probably there would not be any changes in the future.

Only what I want is to get much as possible cleaner administration user interface becuse of relatively complex content structure (deep categorisation, featured content, document management, front permissions, related content, events, galleries, archive, tags...).

One idea is to avoid standard PW multilanguage concept and use "category" for additional language (understand that in that case need to use "hard coded" queries).

Another option can be multiple PW installation but I don't like that because of shared files (images, pdf files), and common content blocks/widgets (galleries...).

Additional language content (almost in >75%) is not in direct relation with default language content (like multisite variant, but with common templates, images, documents, media files etc.).

Please, what is your suggestion about that website structure organisation?

Thanks,
Sasa

@pwired thanks for reply, but sorry because my question was not so clear, sorry for that (just edited).

Yes I know about Pencil, Balsamiq and others mockup tools, but my question is in another direction - how to get better administration user interface, what concept to use? Also there is no hard connection between posts/articles in default and additional language. Additional language content is almost independent.

regards

In your case I would probably create an english subsection on the tree. To give a simplistic example:

home

about

events

news

contact

english

about

contacts

You can build a menu easily, being english one of the items. When you are in the "english part", your menu would be the children of english, plus the link to the default language.

I'm assuming all the complex structure will for the default language, and that english will be pretty simple.

• Like 1

@diogo thanks for reply.

Yes, I call that "category" option and probably go with that (category alias would be "en" to get url www.site.com/en/***). 

In that case, "Tools" page would have some duplicated child pages/"switches" ("tags", "tags-english", "archive", "archive-english"...) - but that is that, and that's ok.

p.s. also I was thinking to go with standard PW multilanguage concept and create redirection (somehow??? eg. header(...)) to home page if "$content" empty (case when there is no translation), and also create button in administration with action "show/hide English tab" - but problem is that there is many independent pages (no 1:1)