mrjasongorman

Processwire Data Objects

I have a friend who uses Silverstripe, and he was telling me about the Data Objects and the ORM it uses, for things like "has many", "one to one", "one to many" relations etc.

Maybe i'm not thinking about things correctly, but in the Processwire world, would a Page essentially be a data object?

Just want to get my head around how to think about structuring a web application in Processwire.

I'm familiar with traditional MVC (rails, code igniter) based structures.

The API may already enable this kind of functionality, but i was wondering if not, would Processwire ever get an ORM? or can an ORM be bolted onto Processwire?

If anyone could help me figure this out that'd be great.

Thanks

If I understand that right (never used any of those cms's / frameworks) than you should look at WireArray and WireData. These are the basic building blocks of ProcessWire and are basically the single and multi-entity data blocks. All other Datatypes build on this e.g.:

• User > Pagetype > Page > WireData
  • PageArray > WireArray
  • ….

But I don't know of any specific "one to one" or "has many" relation, while "one to many" is just done by hierarchy (FieldtypeWrapper (Field) -> children (FieldsArray)).

• Like 1

Page field is one to many or one to one relationship, depending on how it is configured.

Over time we have often had discussions about the nature of Pages and the fact that the term 'Pages', in context of ProcessWire(PW), can be misleading. Pages can represent a lot of things and serve multiple goals.  (fun read: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/2296-confused-by-pages/ )

You are right that Pages can be seen as (URL accessible) data objects. What data a particular Page can hold is defined via the page his Template and the Fields added to that template. So a Template can, amongst other things, be seen as a data model.

ProcessWire has its own way of organizing and relating data. While the underlying database structure might be different than most MVC-ish systems, the Page tree and the Page fieldtype allow for really flexible ways of achieving most, if not all, of the traditional model associations like in Rails' Active Record. Finding and working with pages/data couldn't be easier thanks to the great API, so i don't think there is a need for an 'ORM' because in a way PW already has this.

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pip
      Hi Everyone 
      I've been working on Processwire for two months now. Structuring the website as needed. Unsure why but I'm getting this one now. Seems my fields has crashed. 
      I've tried googling some answers but can't seem to find a step by step guide on how to rectify this. Any advise? Practically new on this. 
      TIA. 

• By Rodd
      Hi everyone!
      I have a website in a production environment and I want to duplicate it in a local environment. I exported the content of the website (with the 'Site Profile Exporter' module) but I cannot use it actually. I've got an issue with the database. I imported this one in MAMP then.

I also exported the pages (with the 'ProcessPagesExportImport' module), but I cannot import it to my local website because the fields don't exist. So I created this fields, but I have this error :
      How can I use the elements that already exist and are presents in my database? How can I duplicate correctly the templates, fields and pages?
      Thanks by advance
      PS: Sorry if my english is bad

• By skoskie
      Hi. I'm working on building my first processwire site, and I want to make sure I'm getting it right. I'd appreciate any feedback. 
      I have a `vendor.php` template/model that will contain companies.
      I need to give users the ability to rate (1-5) that vendor. So I think I need to build a `vendor_rating.php` model/template  with fields `rating` (int), `user` (ref), `vendor` (ref), and perhaps a textarea for `review`.  Then, in the vendor template I will call and cache the average vendor rating for display. I don't actually want to display the individual ratings anywhere, so I guess I still need to figure out how to do an ajax call from the front end. 
      ###
      Here's the thing. This structure is almost identical to "comments" with only one extra field for the `rating`. So should I just extend that in some way? Or stick to my current path and make a new model/template?
      Thanks!

• By DooM
      Hello guys,
      I'm trying to figure out how to sync fields and templates between staging and production environments.
      I've found Migrations module by Lostkobrakai, but with use of it all the fields and templates must be created by API, which is kind of uncomfortable.
      I also tried ProcessDatabaseBackups module which can export only certain tables, but I don't think it's the best practice to do that.
      How do you guys solve this problem? It's very annoying to setup everything three times (dev, staging, production).
      Thanks a lot :)
    • By iipa
      Hi everybody!
      I have been reading about Multisite, but it kinda bugs me that every topic talks about having both admin and database same for multiple sites.
      I have a project where customer tests it by adding content to the site, while I still need to do some changes here and there in code, maybe some in database. If something crashes for a while, customer can't keep testing, which is a bit problematic.
      Is there any way that I could have two separate versions of one site ("production" and development) that share the same database, but are otherwise independent? Just the thought of having to migrate database every time I want to show client something new gives me anxiety 😁