Yelp/Yellow Pages kind of site

beewee

Hi, after using the Geeklog CMS for several years, I'm developing a concept for a new (perhaps multilingual) website about harbours, marinas and everything a sailor needs. A kind of a linkdirectory/yellow pages website, where users can submit several information, comments and reviews, and some Google Maps (or Open SeaMap) overviews for every city or region in the Netherlands and Belgium. Perhaps also some commercial listings for restaurants etc.

So, looking for a CMS that could fit my needs I found ProcessWire, and it looks really great!

My question: I've got enough knowledge of html and css, but nearly no php knowledge. Can I build such a site with PW??

Well, you certainly can - it's possible to build ProcessWire sites with nearly no PHP knowledge, but it certainly won't be as much fun as it could be.

The important thing is to understand the concepts of this CMS/F and know some php functions to transform data (work with arrays, some printf maybe) and then you could achieve what you want.

Beewee, I think the other guys said it here best. But I just wanted to add that the number of things you have to learn is probably less than what you would have to with a typical tag-based system like ExpressionEngine. PHP combined with a logical API is in my opinion a lot cleaner and simpler than most of the tag systems. Not to mention, far less overhead, and much more powerful (when/if you want it to be). And the bits of PHP that you pick up will benefit you far beyond ProcessWire. We're here to help anytime you need it.