[Submit Button] field when clicked runs a custom code

berechar

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a way to add a submit button ('Generate PDF') for a set of templates, which generates a PDF when clicked. So, a submit-button field to which I can attach attach a piece of code. I don't want to run it every time I save, because that will be too much time-consuming.

I found https://processwire.com/talk/topic/8457-add-a-new-action-button-to-page-edit-screen/?hl=%2Badmin+%2Bbutton , but I can't seem to get it working. It should be placed inside the admin.php file right?

Or is making a module the best way to do this...

Best,

Charlie

*** EDIT ***

I'm currently in the middle of making the [GENERATE PDF]  button module. I found the Page::editable hook which works great. Somehow it also parses immediately the parent, and because I only want to parse the current page, I remove the parent like this:

$page = $event->object;
$page->parent = ""; // remove parent!

Is this good/okay/bad practice?

Then I'm trying to add a button to the template like the following:

$field = $this->modules->get('InputfieldButton');
$field->attr('name', 'generate_pdf');
$field->attr('class', $field->class);
$field->attr('value', '[GENERATE PDF]');
return $event->return->append($field);

But this throws me an error on the appending (Error: Call to a member function append() on boolean (line 60)...

The follow up question would be: how can I add an event to when this button has been clicked, and use the current available information of that page :-)