pwFoo

FrontendUser: login, logout and register users / members

it was actually the same line; i can check more, but all i did was replace that line and then got the same exact error on the same line, but line 65, because of the added 2 lines

I think empty() can't handle method calls and objects.

In the evening I'll take a look and fix it.

Thanks for feedback and testing!!! :)

Hi pwFoo, I'm messing around with your module and it's great!

But now I'm trying to add custom fields to the user registration form and I can't seem to get it working. My code is this:

<?php
$fu = $modules->get('FrontendUser');
$myField = $fields->get(139);
echo $fu->register(array('username', 'email', 'password', $myField), $pages->get("template=home")->httpUrl);
?>

I'm 100% certain that the $myField variable is not empty too. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Hi Fester,

You have to add an Inputfield. See example.

// Create form field
$myField = $modules->get('InputfieldText');

it was actually the same line; i can check more, but all i did was replace that line and then got the same exact error on the same line, but line 65, because of the added 2 lines

I shouldn't post workarounds and fixes in hurry...  :rolleyes:

It's a missing feature with php < 5.5

Note:
Prior to PHP 5.5, empty() only supports variables; anything else will result in a parse error. In other words, the following will not work: empty(trim($name)). Instead, use trim($name) == false.

So I removed one method call... but there are TWO  :-[

Maybe this fix will work, because it's without an method call. But I don't know if php <5.5 empty() can handle object properties...

At the moment I haven't a php 5.3 test env, so maybe it works for you and you can report back here ;)

//if (empty(wire('session')->get('registerStep'))) {
$session = wire('session'); 
if (empty($session->registerStep)) {

If the PW alternate syntax ($session->registerStep) shouldn't work with empty() isset could work.

if (!isset($session->registerStep)) {

Just a note to all having to deal with a host that only offers 5.3: demand better service or switch hosts! It's not anything special these days to use multiple PHP versions on a Linux distro, newer than the one in the distro's repository. 5.3 is EOL for almost a year and simply a security catastrophe waiting to happen.

Bottom line: any host that forces 5.3 on you is inept and not worthy of your/your client's money.

PW 2.x requires php 5.3. So I wouldn't increase the requirements by my module...

Just a note to all having to deal with a host that only offers 5.3: demand better service or switch hosts! It's not anything special these days to use multiple PHP versions on a Linux distro, newer than the one in the distro's repository. 5.3 is EOL for almost a year and simply a security catastrophe waiting to happen.

Bottom line: any host that forces 5.3 on you is inept and not worthy of your/your client's money.

but you're right! php 5.3 is EOL and an modern hosting should offer a new(er) version or multiple php versions.

I'm not running 5.3 on any of my new/development sites, its all 5.4; we just released a module (AceExtended) that is for 5.4+; i think it's fine, just put that in the requirements and don't use any> 5.4 features?

Apache/2.2.23 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.23 OpenSSL/0.9.8r DAV/2 PHP/5.4.10

Habe you tested this?

I shouldn't post workarounds and fixes in hurry... :rolleyes:

It's a missing feature with php < 5.5

Note:
Prior to PHP 5.5, empty() only supports variables; anything else will result in a parse error. In other words, the following will not work: empty(trim($name)). Instead, use trim($name) == false.
So I removed one method call... but there are TWO :-[

Maybe this fix will work, because it's without an method call. But I don't know if php <5.5 empty() can handle object properties...

At the moment I haven't a php 5.3 test env, so maybe it works for you and you can report back here ;)

if (empty($session->registerStep)) {
If the PW alternate syntax ($session->registerStep) shouldn't work with empty() isset could work.
if (!isset($session->registerStep)) {

yep, tried changing everything, isset and nothing works.. WSOD all the way. Maybe you can setup a temp account on lightning.pw so that your module can be tested with some more widely used version of php?

it works for me... i just change all the

empty(wire('session')->get('registerStep'))

to

!isset($session->registerStep)

there alteast 4 errors are there....

post-3301-0-43193400-1432100355_thumb.pn

Last update should be php 5.3 compatible. I just removed empty() calls like that.

if (!wire('session')->get('registerStep')) {

//if (!empty(wire('session')->get('registerStep')) && wire('session')->get('registerEmail') !== $form->fhValue('email')) {
if (wire('session')->get('registerStep') && wire('session')->get('registerEmail') !== $form->fhValue('email')) {

No warnings or errors with php 5.5. 

Would be great if somebody could test the new version 0.8.6 with php 5.3.

@naldrocks98

Thank You for your feedback! :)

Could you explain which errors you mean? Error mesage?

• Like 1

Hi Fester,

You have to add an Inputfield. See example.

// Create form field

this seems to be working for me:

// Create form field
$last_name = $modules->get('InputfieldText');
$last_name->label = 'Last Name';
$last_name->attr('id+name', 'last_name');
$last_name->required = 1;

@Macrura, @Fester

Right. You have to use an Inputfield instead of an "Field".

Take a look at this topic how to use the PW form api.

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/2089-create-simple-forms-using-api/

After field is added you need a hook to handle the input value (sanitize, maybe additional processing and add to userObj).

For example see usernameRegister() and passwordRegister().

I'm getting this error when trying to use the register form

Error: Exception: Method FrontendUser::attr does not exist or is not callable in this context (in /Volumes/Docs/MAMP/htdocs/processwire_xys/wire/core/Wire.php line 350)

not sure what the issue could be; tried various things - has anyone got a registration form working with FU yet, and if so could you post steps?

TIA

.. also - i noticed you are maybe using using $sanitizer->username() but it seems to be deprecated in favor of pageName (?) http://cheatsheet.processwire.com/sanitizer/properties-and-methods/sanitizer-username-value/

Module and sub module should work as is.

"attr()" is removed during PHP 5.3 compatibility changes.

Just use $fu->userObj or $fu->form inside the template. Inside a hook wire('fu') instead of $fu works with PHP 5.3+

@pwFoo - thanks for the reply & info.

i'll see if i can make it work, and carry on testing the various features.

in terms of sanitizing/processing additional custom fields on a registration form, any tips on how and where in the process to do that?

thanks again

Sanitize field value is a FormHelper feature ;)

Set sanitizer to field as an additional attribute

$emailField->fhSanitizer = 'email';

Get sanitized value after form processing / submitted

$value = $fu->form->fhValue('emailField')

Change sanitizer if needed...

$value = $fu->form->fhValue('emailField', 'pageName')

Or just do it without FormHelper inside a field processInput hook

// hook after field processed (form need to be submitted)
$myField->addHookAfter('processInput', function($event) {
  $currentField = $event->object;

$value = $currentField->value;
  §sanitizedValue = wire('sanitizer')->pageName($value);

// Do ...
}

You can take a look in each FU field (like username field for registration) to see some examples. ;)

Or at the wiki plugin examples (register, login).

Set additional user field "nickname" based on username during registration (plugin).

Just hook before "save", generate the value and set it to the userObj. "userObj" is a temp object of type User. All existing fields will be saved.

$fu->addHookBefore('save', function($event) {
    $form = wire('fu')->form;

if(!count($form->getErrors())) {
        wire('fu')->userObj->nickname = $form->fhValue('username', 'text');
    }
});

You need an additional field with user input? Add a field with sanitizer and a processing hook... Same as username field ;) So you can use it as starting point

$myField->label = $this->_('MyLabel');
        $myField->attr('id+name', 'MyField');
        //$myField->required = 1;
        $myField->fhSanitizer = 'text';
        // Call hook after field is processed by PW form api
        $myField->addHookAfter('processInput', function($event) {
            $field = $event->object;

// Value will be sanitized as text with "$sanitizer->text()"
            $mySanitizedCustomInput = wire('fu')->form->fhValue($field->name);

// Do ...

// Example: Add value to user during registration
            wire('fu')->userObj->myField = $mySanitizedCustomInput;

// Need to set an field error?
            // $field->error('Custom field has an error...');
        });

// Define the field before you call FU and add it as additional field...
        $fu->register(array('username', 'email', 'password', $myField));

If You need more examples or have a plugin idea just post it here.

• Like 1

Question... let's say I want users only with a particular role to be able to log in, how would I go about that using hooks?

Current code:

$fu->login();
$fu->login(array('username', 'password', 'persist', 'forgot'));
$fu->process($pages->get("/")->url);
echo $fu->render();

Should be done with several hooks.  

For example hookAfter field username "processInput", get the user object by username and check the role. If role is missing, just set a error to the field and login will fail with a custom error message. 

Or take a look at this example. 
https://bitbucket.org/pwFoo/frontenduser/wiki/Login%20extensions%20and%20plugins

Instead of change the login name to email address or nickname just get the user and check the role. Is the role missing, just replace the hooked method. The FrontendUser::auth method returns (===) "true" if login was successful. So just replace and set an error message, that is displayed next to the submit button.

$event->replace = true;
$event->return = "Login failed! Missing required user role!";

Updated 0.8.7

• config email type html | text added to FrontendUserRegisterEmailValidation
  • changed username sanitizer to pageName

Maybe I'm a bit daft, but I can't figure out how to create a logout link. The regular ?logout=1 doesn't seem to work.

So I'm looking at $fu->logout($redirectDestination); but don't know what to do with it. Plz help :undecided:

Edit: bah, I figured it out:

if($user->isLoggedin()) {
  if (isset($_GET['logout'])) $fu->logout($redirectDestination);
  echo "<a href='?logout'>Logout</a>";
}

Thanks again for the great modules :)

Edit: bonus tip: $redirectdestination must be a url, so if you want to redirect to the front page after registering:

$redirectDestination = $pages->get(1)->url;
  • Like 1

It's designed in order to avoid the need URL parameters ;)

So you can create a template / page logout or just use your code above.

Hi Beluga,

I don't like captcha solutions and so I haven't used the recaptcha module. I use my emailValidation plugin (shipped with FrontendUser module).

echo $fu->register(array('username', 'email', 'emailValidation', 'password'), $redirectDestination);

It validates the email address as an additional registration step before the user will be added. 

If recaptcha needs an additional form field just add the form field object

echo $fu->register(array('username', 'email', 'password', $myRecaptchaField), $redirectDestination);

Add a hook to the form processing (a $form->addHookAfter 'processInput' should do it...) to execute "verifyResponse". If the recaptcha validation isn't ok just set a field error inside the hook to stop the user registration process. 

$form->fhSubmitBtn->error('reCAPTCHA validation not ok!');

I hope that will help you to figure it out, because I'm in hurry and have no time to take a closer look at it.