FrontendUser: login, logout and register users / members

pwFoo

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Edit: OK, this was a bit hidden but actually related to what i believed it was not: in the module the setting was set to require the username, not the email. Thus the replacement from an ampersand to a dash.

Hi,

When attempting to reset their passwords, the users receive the email with the reset-password link only sometimes. The logs show the email addresses supplied. Many of them appear to have the ampersand replaced by a dash.

Somewhere above there is a question about cases where an ampersand is replaced by a dash but that part of the thread concern sign-up of a new user and so appears irrelevant to my problem. I was not lucky either by searching this site or elsewhere.

Would any of you know why and how, or have an idea that would help?

• 9 months later...
12 hours ago, zoeck said:

The "FrontendUser" is outdated ? Last Update 2016... 

But that's kind of the similar case as many of the Modules, with their last updates being years old.

Are they no longer being updated because the developer lost interest in updating it?

OR they work perfectly well still, with no need to update? lol, it could go both ways.

It's a pleasant surprise when I test out an old module and it works perfectly with the later version of PW ❤️

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pwFoo said:

Hi, 

module isn't maintained or tested anymore. I love PW, but at the moment I don't need / use it. Because of missing time I stopped web development / fun tasks some time ago... 

Thanks for your contributions to the community ?

Good luck in all that you do - we'll see you around pwFoo ?

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Some months ago I've created a PW site using LoginRegister module.

Today if I search "register" in PW free modules shop I just find FrontendUser, so I assume this is the "new" officially supported login module, but then I read here that it's not maintained anymore.

I'm kind of confused, is there still an officially supported and free module to register/login in PW ? Is LoginRegister still good in term of security ? (last commit 5 years ago)

I like PW a lot for its simplicity, but I'm afraid that a CMS without an official register/login module is kind of dying, and that I should find another CMS for my next site.

Am I missing something ? Thanks for any help.

@da² I developed my own login/register process with a lot of help from this forum, I think just before that LoginRegister module(s) appeared. There are a lot of advantages creating your own process and PW makes it relatively easy. Once you have it, you can reuse it for different sites. 

Probably not super helpful in your case, but I imagine this is how many PW users approach it. Curious to see other responses...

I was afraid to read this. ? I use a CMS to avoid having to develop things like this, I just want to focus on my site content, coding a login/register module is reinventing the wheel, this has be done thousands of time by developers with a better knowledge than me in security.

@da², there are probably several standard ready-to-use scripts floating around on this forum and elsewhere and I think there was another module - curious to hear responses from others, I haven't checked recently.

Here is a login/register process from the main PW developer Ryan Cramer. It's 5 years old, but I think it should still work and that it was provided as an example that you can adapt and expand to suit your needs.

And if you really need a generic out of the box solution, you could always use the Pro module.

Here are some of the old threads where I was trying to solve some parts of this, like best practices to secure registration and front-end password reset. Also see this post.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, da² said:

I was afraid to read this. ? I use a CMS to avoid having to develop things like this, I just want to focus on my site content, coding a login/register module is reinventing the wheel, this has be done thousands of time by developers with a better knowledge than me in security.

Hi,

I'm moved away from PW some time ago because I stopped build websites or server site web applications and so unhappily have no use case for Processwire...

For me Processwire is still the best CMS. Create content types / pages and fields and create content / pages with the backend and enjoy the flexibility to build your page with html, css, js and the awesome PW api ? 

With more complex applications, you also benefit from the flexibility and the powerful API, but more like from a framework / CMF. Without restrictions regarding the frontend. Write own modules, plugins and hooks is really easy to learn. Frontend User was one of my first modules I wrote.

And the community is great ?

14 hours ago, da² said:

Main question is: is it safe to use LoginRegister module today ? (sorry to post this here but I didn't find this module topic)

Hello, I've never used it but I casually read the posts of this LoginRegister module during the days, and as far as I can remember, this module has its own issues but still usable even from a security standpoint. However, I highly recommend that you carefully read most of the topics before deciding whether to use it or not:

https://www.google.hu/search?q="LoginRegister"+site%3Aprocesswire.com%2Ftalk

Personally, next time I need frontend user login, I will use the commercial version instead.

EDIT: to make it clear, I was referring to Ryan's free/commecial Login and Registration modules, so I added a google search URL to show what I meant.

Edited by szabesz
typos
  • Like 2