FrontendUser: login, logout and register users / members

pwFoo

FrontendUser

The FrontendUser module provides a frontend login, logout and user registration functionality.

Features

See module documentation for details.

• login with error handling and value sanitizing
  • Plugin: ProcessForgotPassword core module integration
  • Plugin: LoginPersist module integration

• user registration with username and email address already in use check
  • email adress pre-register validation (email verification)

• Extendable with additional fields and by PW hooks
  • forms generated by PW form api

• Custom style / script 

Requirements

Usage

Repository

ToDo / Issues

I hope it will be helpful to the community and I would be glad to get feedback or suggestions for improvement!

• Like 8

Hi pwFoo. I've tried to install first FormHelper on a clean local installation with Mamp Pro (PW 2.5.29, PHP 5.6.2). FormHelper.module was installed properly, but the FormHelperExtra.module gives me the following error: "Unable to install module 'FormHelperExtra': Can't save page 0: /fhstorage/: It has no parent assigned".

post-192-0-54688400-1430739618_thumb.png

Hello jacmaes,

fhstorage is a hidden admin page to handle file uploads to not existing pages (during frontend page creation for example). It should be added and removed during FormHelperExtra module un-/install. I'll take a look at it later.

But FormHelperExtra isn't needed! Just install FormHelper and FrontendUser modules and it should work.

Thanks. I realize that FormHelperExtra was not needed, so I went ahead and successfully installed everything else. The login and registration process work fine in my test environment, and it's pretty easy and quick to implement. Great job. 

Now I'd like to go one step further, and allow users to edit their profiles (after adding fields to the user template like "first name", "last name" and "birthdate" for example). I believe that FormHelper should help out with this, but how should I proceed? Could you add a simple example to the module docs? 

I should be easy to extend the register form with additional fields (like done with the login and register plugins examples).

A FrontendUserProfile is planned and should be easy to build with the FormHelper module (and also without, but I like it ;) It simplify some tasks like sanitize values or form processing). Maybe ProcessProfile core module could do the job...

I take a look and maybe add a simple example, but that should be moved to the FormHelper topic.

• Like 1

Here is the source code of the LoginPersist integration.

$persist = $this->modules->get('InputfieldCheckboxes');
        $persist->name = 'persist';
        $persist->attr('id+name', 'persist');
        $persist->skipLabel = 4;
        $persist->addoption('persist', $this->_('Remember me?'));
        $persist->addHookAfter('Session::login', function($event) use (&$persist) {
            if (isset($persist->value[0]) && $persist->value[0] === 'persist') {
                $this->modules->get('LoginPersist')->persist();
            }
        });

The examples hook into existing form fields.

Add own fields (example "$myField") or change order

$fu->login(array('username', 'password', 'persist', 'forgot', $myField));

See basic usage

Updated FU version 0.8.2 replaced hard coded verification email with simple html / plain templates to send an html email with wiremail. Has to be improved / changed in the future, but I don't know how I'll implement it (module configuration, template, ...) to keep it flexible and simple.

• Like 1

I have some problems with the email template / config. Subject and text should be configurable, but I won't write a template parser to replace tokens like 

{{token}}
{{url}}

or something similar. 

Write the text to the template isn't a good way and also not translatable.

So how should / could it be done a nice way?

1. Set text block in module configuration to be shown before the token / link?
  2. Move the complex email verification plugin to a separated module file with own config section?
  3. Use a page for email subject / text to be translatable like other fields?
  4. ...

I try to build a universal usable login / register module, so suggestions and feedback is welcome! ;)

Version 0.8.3

• moved email validation to sub-module FrontendUserRegisterEmailValidation
  • Added FrontendUserRegisterEmailValidation module configuration (email subject and text)
  • Removed plain email template (now generated by php based on the html one)
  • simple example html email template

Hi again ;-)

thanks for the tips regarding php 5.3 workaround - that did the trick!

Another (minor) issue I encountered is that the generated email will still append the "normal" _main.php template file, which results in a doubled html / body code and may confuse some mail clients. By changing the line

//$mail->body($emailContentPlain)->bodyHTML($emailContentHtml);
$mail->body($emailContentPlain);

in FrontendUserRegisterEmailValidation.module the regex will strip out the _main.php tags as well, which for me right now works as a workaround, but of course I am wondering where I'd be able to undo the automatic appending of the _main.php … my guess is, that

$emailContentHtml = wire('page')->render($this->fu->getFile('validationEmail.php', 'templates'), $vars);

is the right place to look, but I've yet to find the correct setting for $vars. :-)

cheers;
Tom

hi,

sorry for being unclear, the email template is loaded, i.e. the infos and content etc are in the email. it's only that after that, the _main.php is included, as well, which in my case will add additional (and content-less) html,body,etc markup to the already existing html,body,etc markup in the mail's source code. :-) Changes to the email template are reflected in the mail sent. It's only the additional markup that I'm wondering about.

ok. Maybe a prepand / append to template problem? Could you check the config file?

I load a custom template from module folder. Maybe I need another way to load it to prevent the template append / prepand...

Updated module to 0.8.4 / email validation plugin to 0.0.2. 

• module instance / object is now available via wire('fu') to simplify plugin hooks and...
  • add PHP 5.3 compatibility :)

Minimum tested at the moment! Could you test it and post the results here?

• Like 1

Thanks for feedback. 

Is the template append problems also fixed with the new version?

Because that was also a anonymous function / php 5.3 problem.

Have to verified that the FrontendUserRegisterEmailValidation module configuration is working? It's used as email subject ($this->subject) an prepanded email text ($this->content). Works fine with php 5.5, but haven't tested it with php 5.3.

I merged your latest master with my local changes, keeping your 5.3 compat changes.

Could you tell me that you have changed? Customization should be possible without hack / modify the module. Just with PW hooks, custom plugins and additional fields ;)

Hi,

well, basically I added a function to send another mail after sucessful registration, and bypassed the need to login after the user has entered his/her desired password in the second step.

I can send you a pull request of my dev-branch if you like, but rather wouldn't have this public for now since we hard-coded some email adresses and client-related stuff into the code… may I mail you a zip or invite you to our bitbucket team so you can see the fork?
(it's all a bit rushed right now b/c it needs to work tomorrow morning (launch) :-D )

The hole email verification (hide password field, add verification code field, process additional fields and send the email) is based on hooks without a FU module modification. ;)

Additional email and auto login should be done by an additional hook ;)

Maybe I can take a look in the evening, but don't know yet...

FrontendUser module should work fine, but keep in mind it's alpha at the moment and needs testing!

the template append is still there.

here's a excerpt from the mail source code if the

$mail->body($emailContentPlain)->bodyHTML($emailContentHtml);

is used, if I change this to

$mail->body($emailContentPlain);

the mail is ok (due to the regex stripping I guess).

--==Multipart_Boundary_x737b845286a9a5899d535817f4d80ca2x
Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html>
    <body>
        <p>Thank you, (snip snap) .... </p>
        <!-- empty line and comment only lines works as a linebreak with plain emails -->

<p>User: Testtest<br />
        Email: test@test.te</p>

<p>Code: 2b7d110cb29be35bbac13d506e02f7de</p>

<p>Link: (domain)/registration/?registerToken=2b7d110cb29be35bbac13d506e02f7de</p>
    </body>
</html>
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="de">
<head>
    <meta charset="utf-8" />
    <title></title>
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width,initial-scale=1.0">
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/site/templates/js/modernizr-custom.js"></script>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/site/templates/css/styles.css">

</head>
<body id="pid-1032" class="pid-1032 p-registration t-user_registration">
<div class="page">
            <main class="page-main">
        <!-- main content -->
            </main>
    <footer class="page-footer">
        <div class="container">
                    </div>
    </footer>
</div>
<script type="text/javascript" src="/site/templates/js/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="/site/templates/js/scripts.js"></script>

</body>
</html>

--==Multipart_Boundary_x737b845286a9a5899d535817f4d80ca2x--

The hole email verification (hide password field, add verification code field, process additional fields and send the email) is based on hooks without a FU module modification. ;)

Additional email and auto login should be done by an additional hook ;)

Maybe I can take a look in the evening, but don't know yet...

FrontendUser module should work fine, but keep in mind it's alpha at the moment and needs testing!

yes, and thank you for the alpha reminder ;-)
I need to learn the hook things better, and then I'll keep my fingers out of the module's code, promised! :-)

ah, and of course I don't expect you to tackle my problems here (just realised that the above may be read as "uh it's urgent, please have a look") but this is not how it was meant; I mentioned it only as an explanation why I hacked in your module's code :-))

No problem. If you send me the additional code and I have the time I could rewrite it to a hook.

I would like to see the module used by the community and extended by hooks / plugins to keep the module core simple, clean and reusable ;)

Custom plugins could be added to my git repo / wiki to share with other PW users.

I'm also interested in feedback if you use it inside a project. Just to see how it could be improved.

• Like 1

Version 0.8.5

• Add some more comments to FrontendUserRegisterEmailValidation module
  • FrontendUser::auth() is now hookable (to build a auto login after sucessful user registration)
  • Add usage shorthand to call login / register with one method call by set a second param ($redirect)
    // load module
    $fu = $modules->get('FrontendUser');

// login
    echo $fu->login(null, $redirectDestination);   // with default fields
    //echo $fu->login(array('username', 'password', 'persist', 'forgot'), $redirectDestination);

// load module
    $fu = $modules->get('FrontendUser');

// registration
    echo $fu->register(null, $redirectDestination);  // with default fields
    //echo $fu->register(array('username', 'email', 'emailValidation', 'password'), $redirectDestination);

The compatibility to PHP 5.3 seems to work fine, but isn't fully tested. Because Processwire 2.5 / 2.6 requires PHP 5.3+ I would't increase the requirements to PHP 5.4 ;)

• Like 2

I'm testing the latest version, but:

Apache/2.2.23 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.23 OpenSSL/0.9.8r DAV/2 PHP/5.4.10

Compile Error: Can't use method return value in write context (line 63 of /Volumes/Docs/MAMP/htdocs/pwire_test05/site/modules/FrontendUser/FrontendUser/FrontendUserRegisterEmailValidation.module) 

Hello Macrura,

line 63 of FrontendUserRegisterEmailValidation.module:

if (empty(wire('session')->get('registerStep'))) {

Seems to be PHP < 5.5 related...

Note:

Prior to PHP 5.5, empty() only supports variables; anything else will result in a parse error. In other words, the following will not work: empty(trim($name)). Instead, use trim($name) == false.

To be compatible with PHP 5.3 and 5.4 I have to check the usage of empty() in combination with wire() and replace such calls... I'll take a look later.

You could test this:

//        if (empty(wire('session')->get('registerStep'))) {
        $session = wire('session');
        if (empty($session->get('registerStep'))) {