FrontendUser: login, logout and register users / members

pwFoo

2 hours ago, Beluga said:

Note that I don't use that solution anymore, but pwFoo's simpler solution.

probably makes sense in your case. I still need the user welcome email functionality provided by the EmailNewUser module. e.g. it uses the same template for api and manually created users as well as "resend" functionality which is handy.

and only takes 1 short line of code to make it work with the FrontendUser.

@pwFoo just posted an issue re token verification not functioning

seems like the suggested addition to hide the token field before it needs to be visible is after breaking the validation.

for now (assuming you are using the latest version) you need to comment line 129 and uncomment 128 (reverting back 1 commit).

I should have tested more extensively before suggesting the change :P 

take care...

Updated (reverted change which causes the problems) to 0.9.2

I hope it works again, because I haven't time or envirionment to test it...
If it works fine I do a change freeze  here until I back with update, tests, supports ...

• 1 month later...

I have a redirection problem!

• in chrome:  to many redirections
  • in firefox: page is not redirected in a proper way

My code 

• with or without the if else, same problem
  • the inlog form is shown correctly and when I go to the backend I'm logged in
<?php

if ($user->isGuest()) {
// load module
$fu = $modules->get('FrontendUser');

// prepare login form (default parameters)
$fu->login();

// Additional LoginPersist and ProcessForgotPassword module integration (built-in)
$fu->login(array('username', 'password',  'forgot'));

// process login / form submit
$fu->process($pages->get('/ledenzone/')->url);

// output form
$body .= $fu->render();
}
else {
    // do logout
}

Any suggestions, many thx

Hi,

you should execute the login() method one time. In your code it's called twice.

If the login was successful you will redirected by the process() method to the destination. It looks like your $fu->process(...) call is executed every time.

Could you add some debugging output and break the execution of the template file with the php exit? So you should see your debugging information and debug your code.

• Like 1

@pwfoo, thx for the debug-suggestion

I deleted login()

After debugging wit php exit: location of the problem in the FrondendUser.module

• switch case: $result = 1
  • if result === true
    • before $this:  $result = 1
    •  $this->session->redirect($redirect, false);     // User sucessfully registered        causes the loop that terns in a 302-error

Any suggestions for a solution?

/**
     * Process user register with validated form input
     * @param string $redirect Redirect destination url
     */
    public function process($redirect) {

if ($this->form->fhProcessForm()) {

switch ($this->action) {
                case 'Login':	
                    $result = $this->auth($this->userObj);				
                  break;
                case 'Register':
                    $result = $this->save($this->userObj);
                  break;
            }
            if ($result === true) {

$this->session->redirect($redirect, false);     // User sucessfully registered	
            }
            else { 
				$this->form->fhSubmitBtn->error($result);       // Save user failed?
				echo  'save user failed: ' . $this; //
            }        
        }
        return $this;
    }

I exported my profile into a new PW installation and now I get a fatal error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function login() on null in D:\xampp\htdocs\pwf6_str08\site\templates\account-login.php on line 8  

Code line 8:

$fu->login(array('username','password','forgot'));

16 hours ago, hansv said:

I exported my profile into a new PW installation and now I get a fatal error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function login() on null in D:\xampp\htdocs\pwf6_str08\site\templates\account-login.php on line 8  

Code line 8:

That sounds like a problem with your installation or missing module.

$result would be (exactly) true if a new user is registered.

/**
     * Save the temp User object
     * @param User $user Temp User object to save
     * @return boolean Sucessful (true) saved or not (false)
     */
    protected function ___save($user) {
        if (empty($user->name) || empty($user->email) || $user->pass->hash == '') {
            return $this->_('Register process unexpected failed!');
        }
        if ($user->save()) {
            return true;
        }
        return $this->_('User registration failed!');
    }

And the save() method will prevent duplicates. I don't think the loop is generated by the module. Should be template code like the prevent redirection loops example. Do you redirect to the current page or is there a htaccess rewrite? Redirect to login page? ...

Anyone else have such problems with the module? Additional examples could be helping.

• Like 1

I re-installed the module, now only the 302 redirect loop.  

My template-code

<?php

// load module

// Additional LoginPersist and ProcessForgotPassword module integration (built-in)

// process login / form submit
$fu->process($pages->get('/ledenzone/')->url);

// output form
$body .= $fu->render();

.htaccess the original PW 3.0, now changes maded

When I login as a non-existing user, I get the 'login failed' message

When I login as admin or as existing user I get the redirection loop

I'm just logging in, it' not about a registration of a new user 

@pwFoo

Problem solved.  No blames to the FrontEndUser-module, all shame is for me!!!

In my _main.php there was also code to log in.  It was ment for a button to login.  

Conclusion: there was interference between login-code in the _main.php file and the login-code in the template file.

Sorry for wasting your time, the FrontEndUser-module is excellent.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

FrontendUser and FormHelper are the first modules I have installed in Processwire, so I am still very confused about the basics.

When I put this in a template file:

echo $fu->login(null, $redirectDestination);  

The output in the site is just the text 'FrontendUser', no login form as I had hoped.

What am I missing? Probably something very dumb and obvious.

No, there is no default like "SELF". Be careful "SELF" could cause a redirection loop:
https://bitbucket.org/pwFoo/frontenduser/wiki/Documentation#markdown-header-prevent-redirection-loops

21 hours ago, modifiedcontent said:

What does 'return $this' do in your empty($redirect) test?

return the current instance / object. echo out the object will print the class name I think.

Thanks pwFoo.

Is there a complete basic working code example anywhere?

This is what I have so far:

<?php
$redirectDestination = htmlentities($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']);

if ($user->isGuest()) {
$fu->register();
$fu->process($redirectDestination);
echo $fu->render();

echo 'or log in here if you already have an account';
echo $fu->login(null, $redirectDestination);   // with default fields
}

if($user->isLoggedin()) {
if (isset($_GET['logout'])) $fu->logout($redirectDestination);
echo "<a href='?logout'>Logout</a>";
}

?>

Login/logout works fine. Registration adds a new user, but the user would never know; I need to figure out how to send him/her an email confirmation, with an activation link maybe (?), log them in automatically, ..., what else?

I also don't want my registration form to ask for a "username"; only real name - firstname, lastname - and email address and then later maybe addition info. I'll probably end up generating a username from the real name in the background, as I've always done in Wordpress.

All these points have probably been discussed somewhere in this long thread, but is there any place where it is all put together into one working example?

The documentation gives the basic functions/usage (?) but not how to put it together, leaving out essential points that may be obvious for regular Processwire users, but not if this is the first PW module you try to implement after years in WP world.

The code snippets/examples then skip ahead to sanitizing and custom fields. I can't find anywhere how to add an activation link email process. Email activation is mentioned here, but mixed in with a lot of other issues. Where should I start?

On 09/09/2016 at 3:04 PM, modifiedcontent said:

Email activation is mentioned here, but mixed in with a lot of other issues. Where should I start?

If I understand correctly, you want the email activation plugin.

In the backend, install the module FrontendUserRegisterEmailValidation

Capture.PNG

then you call the module like that (but read the rest of the post and test it) :

// add emailValidation to the form
$fu->register(array('username', 'email', 'emailValidation', 'password'));
$fu->process($pages->get('/login/')->url);
echo $fu->render();

---

@pwFoo   I implemented FU on a PW 3.0.33 with the FURegisterEmailValidation module. The email is sent but empty. Using TracyDebugger, I dump  $emailContentHtml and $emailContentPlain, they are always empty .

// Load the plain / html email templates
$emailContentHtml = wire('page')->render(wire('fu')->getFile('validationEmail.php', 'templates'), $vars);
bd($emailContentHtml);

it return : "" (empty string)

I dont know, let me test on a 2.7 and 2.8, I will give you feedback.

edit: installing the two version...

edit 2:

on 2.7.2, 2.8.33 and 3.x, after installation of the FURegisterEmailValidation, it give this error when accessing the frontend page  :

Fatal error: Call to a member function attr() on a non-object in [...]\site\modules\FrontendUser\FrontendUser\FrontendUserRegisterEmailValidation.module on line 160

Commenting the line 160, the form is rendered on the frontend page.

Email testing - @pwFoo there are the results :

on 2.7.2 :  After filling the form, the email is sent and it contain all the information. It works.

on 2.8.33 :  After filling the form, the email is sent and it contain all the information. It works.

on 3.0.33 :  After filling the form, the email is sent and is empty. It do not works.

Today I managed to get it working for the three version. Tested.

In the file FrontendUserRegisterEmailValidation.module line 110 I replaced the following code :

$emailContentHtml = wire('page')->render(wire('fu')->getFile('validationEmail.php', 'templates'), $vars);

by this code :

$file = wire('fu')->getFile('validationEmail.php', 'templates');
$emailContentHtml = wireRenderFile($file, ['options' => $vars], ['default_path' => '']);

As wireRenderFile was introduced in ProcessWire 2.5.2, there is no problem of compatibility.

We can now receive email validation on PW 3.x with all information to create new user account O0

Edited by flydev
Tested on 2.7.2 / 2.8.x / 3.x
  • Like 3

I also get a fatal internal server error with FrontendUserRegisterEmailValidation.module in PW 3.0.33:

Error:  Call to a member function attr() on a non-object (line 160 of [...]/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/FrontendUser/FrontendUser/FrontendUserRegisterEmailValidation.module)

Line 160 in my case, not 110. Line 160 is:

$form->get('EmailPreValidation')->attr('disabled', true);

Removing that line "fixes" the error, shows the form. Removing everything from the arrow as well. If you try to register, an email gets sent, but it is empty. Changing 'true' to 'false' had no effect. 

A combination of flydev's solution for line 110 + removing everything from the -> sign, does seem to fix the error. An email does get sent with a validation token. And then the user has to pick a password?

And then what? Is there supposed to be a second email, with 'Welcome, now log in here ...'? Or should I structure the form/pages in such a way that picking a password also logs the user in?

Is there really no complete working implementation example somewhere?

I tried 'check for updates' on the FrontendUserRegisterEmailValidation.module , but get

Error reported by web service: Unable to find that module

Once you have a working process, how would you style and extend the forms? Beyond using the available classes and ids for CSS. Is there a way to get control over the html?

I never use list tags, <li etc., for forms. I'd like to rewrite it to something like this:

<div><input placeholder="label text here" ... /></div>

@modifiedcontent

// krisj / https://processwire.com/talk/topic/9811-frontenduser-login-logout-and-register-users-members/?p=122040
-            $form->remove($form->get('EmailPreValidation')); //hide the token field before the email is sent = less distraction
+            //$form->remove($form->get('EmailPreValidation')); //hide the token field before the email is sent = less distraction
             $form->get('EmailPreValidation')->attr('disabled', true);

@flydev

-            $emailContentHtml = wire('page')->render(wire('fu')->getFile('validationEmail.php', 'templates'), $vars);
+            //$emailContentHtml = wire('page')->render(wire('fu')->getFile('validationEmail.php', 'templates'), $vars);
+            $file = wire('fu')->getFile('validationEmail.php', 'templates');
+            $emailContentHtml = wireRenderFile($file, ['options' => $vars], ['default_path' => '']);