Assigning a module to process field on installation

Oliver

I have a problem with assigning a process module to a process field as it has to happen on installation of the process module. As the code for assigning is executed as part of the ___install() method of the process module, the module - of course - isn’t actual installed yet and so it has no ID to be saved with the created page’s process field.

The ID would be available after the installation has finished. But I haven’t found a way to actually call a second method to do the assigment. I thought about setting a hook on init after ModuleName::install, but as the hook would be set on every init of the module, it seemed not to be a very clever solution. Any other ideas?

Not sure if I understood correctly, but this is what I do at ShoppingOrdersManagement (which is a process module):

public function install() {

$orders = new Page();
 $orders->template = $this->templates->get("admin");
 $orders->parent = $this->pages->get($this->config->adminRootPageID);
 $orders->title = 'Manage orders';
 $orders->name = 'manage-orders';
 $orders->process = $this;
 $orders->save();
}

That’s right the way I tried. But there is no module ID saved in the database for the field. It sais 0. But yeah, as I installed your module successfully, it seems to work in your case. But where does it get the ID of the module from, as the module doesn’t have any the moment $orders->save(); is executed?

Oliver, the module ID is already determined by the time your install() function is called. For instance, you could add this to your install function:

$id = wire('modules')->getModuleID($this); 

However, when you do $page->process = $this; it is already doing the above for you behind the scenes.

• 6 years later...
On 2/20/2012 at 8:41 PM, ryan said:

Oliver, the module ID is already determined by the time your install() function is called. For instance, you could add this to your install function:

$id = wire('modules')->getModuleID($this); 

However, when you do $page->process = $this; it is already doing the above for you behind the scenes.

Good to know that "$page->process = $this" works to, but the process page could be configured by module info in later PW versions (topic is very old, I know...)

Will a custom un-/install() method in process module overwrite the "default" methods (create page, set process field to module, ...) or will it extend the default process module un-/install? The page to create is set in module info as shown in the ProcessHello example

// page that you want created to execute this module
	'page' => array(
		'name' => 'helloworld',
		'parent' => 'setup', 
		'title' => 'Hello World'
	),

Anything to do if I try to extend / modify the default un-/install()?
Should I hook after module install method and should that work?

$this->addHookAfter('install', function (HookEvent $event) { 
	// custom code
});

And what do that line in example mean in example module install() / uninstall()?

parent::___uninstall(); // always remember to call parent method

Would be nice to know the default process module un-/install() methods or is it just a installPage() / uninstallPage() call?