jQuery UI Range Slider Fieldtype

Soma

Before we can repeat, we can slide! :)

ProcessWire2+ RangeSlider Fieldtype

This fieldtype let's you create slider input fields in the admin using the built in jQuery UI Slider. You can use it as a regular

single value slider, or enable "Range" setting under details of the field edit screen, which gives you two number.

In the front-end templates you can use the field as follows:

If used as single value slider

echo $page->fieldname

If ranged slider is enabled

echo $page->fieldname->min
echo $page->fieldname->max

Use in selectors strings

With a regular single value slider

$pages->find("range=120");

If range slider is enabled

$pages->find("range.min>=100, range.max<120");

post-100-0-73766900-1329543474_thumb.png

It comes with various settings.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

- range enable

- width of slider (%)

- default value

- min value

- max value

- step

- prefix for displayed value(s)

- suffix for displayed value(s)

Download

You can download the Module from Github.

https://github.com/s...nic/RangeSlider

How to install

1. Download and place the RangeSlider folder in: /site/modules/

2. In the admin control panel, go to Modules. At the bottom/top of the

screen, click the "Check for New Modules" button.

3. Now scroll to the RangeSlider Fieldtype module and click "Install".

4. Create a new Field with the new "RangeSlider" Fieldtype. Once saved

you can configure the fieldtype, with various options under "Details" tab.

I have made some testing, and installed on different PW installs. But if you find any issue, I'd like to hear.

Have fun!

• Like 2

Soma, that's a nice one!

Maybe a possibility to optionally define a function for calculating value range to make the value grow non-linearly as you slide could be a nice enhancement.

Could be handled like custom API calls for page ref fields, a field for js code like "return Math.pow({$x})". But that's just an idea.

Thanks guys! Glad you like it.

Soma, that's a nice one!

Maybe a possibility to optionally define a function for calculating value range to make the value grow non-linearly as you slide could be a nice enhancement.

Could be handled like custom API calls for page ref fields, a field for js code like "return Math.pow({$x})". But that's just an idea.

Thanks for the idea. Not sure where this could be useful though. But something with a "code" field would be possible.

I'm more thinking something to be able to do floats. This could be done with formatter function too. So you could specify digits precision and have 0-1000 would really mean 0-10.00 - but operations like this could be done on output too.

Also there's still some other settings that might be useful but these are more visual than functional. I'll add 1-2 more for type max,min for regular slider.

Well I realized it still isn't as good as I wanted. It has still a text field for storing data. And the fact that it can used as one value and two value range makes it hard to implement with only 1 integer table field. I'm not sure how it would be possible to have 2 integer fields on a fieldtype. So this current version doesn't work with selectors. Would it be possible to have selector like "range[0]>100, range[1]<120" ? I don't understand how selectors works exactly.

Simplest would be for doing ranges is having two single value slider with real integer field type. But I think it's not as ideal. So i'm kinda stuck here and little overwhelmed with how this else could be implemented better.

Edit:

I think I'm on a path that works. Even with page selectors. I'm doing a little more testing and experimenting.

Actually I'm diving a little more int PW's implementation of fieldtypes and how it works.

So it works now like "range.data>100, range.data2<120", and output is array like before $page->range["data"].

Will hopefully get it working soon and update the repo.

Soma great module!! It should be no problem to make your Fieldtype support two integers. Take a look at the FieldtypeMapMarker module for an example of how to have multiple fields in the module. To start you are going to want to have a DB schema something like this:

public function getDatabaseSchema(Field $field) {
   $schema = parent::getDatabaseSchema($field);
   $schema['data'] = 'int NOT NULL default 0'; // min
   $schema['data_max'] = 'int NOT NULL default 0'; // max
   $schema['keys']['data'] = 'KEY data(data, data_max)';
   $schema['keys']['data_max'] = 'KEY data(data_max)';
   return $schema;
}

Basically, use the required 'data' column for one of your pieces of data, and then you can add any other columns you want. I called it 'data_max' here, but you could call it whatever you want.

I was just thinking the other day that it would be great to have a fieldtype like this for when an integer field always falls within a predictable range. This is even better!

One suggestion: How about having the number display editable, in case there is a specific number you need to enter (and there's a large range that might be difficult to hit with the slider)?

I've reworked the whole module to use integer fields and it works a little different now.

Best of it is, it now works in selectors and uses real integers. :)

I have updated the repo on github just now and also the first post to reflect the changes.

If you installed it already you should first uninstall it before updating.

I was just thinking the other day that it would be great to have a fieldtype like this for when an integer field always falls within a predictable range. This is even better!

Or you can even use it to set states. For example use it like an option 1,2,3

One suggestion: How about having the number display editable, in case there is a specific number you need to enter (and there's a large range that might be difficult to hit with the slider)?

This would be possible, but then why have a slider? :P This also would require to implement some validation through js or the module.

I suggest, if you have large numbers you can put it in the near and use arrow keys to get to the value you want.

EDIT: Just found that there seems to be a bug with the left range handle not able to move with keyboard arrow keys. I found out that the current jquery 1.6.2 core included in PW is the reason. I copied in latest jquery 1.7.1 and it starts working.

Great work Soma! I'm really liking this fieldtype. I wanted to mention one potential improvement that would be easy to make. Rather than having to use the technical sounding range.data and range.data_max in selectors, wouldn't it be nice if you could use range.min and range.max? If you want to do that, add this to your Fieldtype:

public function getMatchQuery($query, $table, $subfield, $operator, $value) {
   if($subfield == 'min') $subfield = 'data';
   if($subfield == 'max') $subfield = 'data_max';
   return parent::getMatchQuery($query, $table, $subfield, $operator, $value); 
}
  • Like 1

Thanks Ryan! Glad you like it.

Wow thanks, did you read my mind? I was about to look for this particular function to see if there's a way to map those. Thanks for pointing out!

I'll quickly put it in and update the repo.

Edit: Just updated the fieldtype, tested and pushed to github.

Now we can use range.min, range.max in selectors!

• 4 months later...

Thanks a lot Soma! I detected a bug in this last iteration, while trying to use it, on line 81 of InputfieldRangeSlider.module:

$display = "$( '#RangeSlider_{$this->name}_display1' ).text( '$this->prefix' + ui.value + '$this->suffix');";

$constrain = "$( '#Inputfield_{$this->name}1' ).val( ui.value );"	   // !!! there is a semicolon missing here
  // for change event checks
  $constrain .= "$( '#Inputfield_{$this->name}1' ).trigger( 'change' );";

When I added the semicolon, everything started working again!

PS: I'm fairly new to web coding and communities, is there a place where I could have posted this bug? (in the Git, or something like that?)

Cheers :)

Thanks tiagoroldao, nice catch! Seems as not much are using it yet, otherwise someone would have run into this. Though it worked with range enabled. :)

Well, you can always open new issue on github repo. It's public. https://github.com/somatonic/RangeSlider/issues

It's fixed and commited. I also improved the module install. You only need to install the FieldtypeRangeSlider and the InputfieldRangeSlider will be installed and deinstalled automaticly. If you already have it installed it's safe to just replace with the new files.

I wonder if this was only a browser-specific issue anyway? I know IE goes crazy when you miss out semicolons, but in other cases other browsers are fine with it.

• 1 month later...

Hi Soma, Thanks for the module! I've been testing the slider and was wondering if it's possible to make 0.5 (half) increments. It would be nice to have a score Range field and let the user select between 1-5 and half increments (4.5 stars).

You're welcome landitus. Unfortunately this seems not possible as I know, it is using the jquery UI slider and there's only numbers not floats supported.

You could then maybe use 1-10 and divide them by 2?

Or you could use page field and create 10 pages with the increments and then use them to select. If the range is never gonna change this might be a option too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I want use this with PW 2.4.+ in a Modules-Configpage. Is this possible?

EDIT: yes it is possible! :)

I have tried the following code but I do something wrong, the slider isn't displayed in the config page:

EDIT: The settings for minValue, maxValue etc. belongs to the $field, not to the $slider. This was what I have done initially wrong

$field = $modules->get("InputfieldRangeSlider");
            if(!empty($field) && class_exists('RangeSlider')) {
	            $field->attr('name', 'integer');
                        $slider = new RangeSlider();
                    $field->attr('value', $slider);
                    $field->width = 90;
                    $field->minValue = 1;
                    $field->maxValue = 100;
                    $field->defaultValue = $data['integer']>0 && $data['integer']<=100 ? $data['integer'] : 50;
                    $field->step = 1;
	            $field->label = 'Test with integer value';
	            $fieldset->add($field);
            } else {

The only thing what is not working is the $field->defaultValue, - what I'm doing wrong here?

Edited by horst