Dependent select in admin

MuchDev

Hey all, currently building a newsletter builder that can create newsletters from fields and existing items as well as repeater fields that have more content areas. As you can see from all this there are a lot of scenarios in which one field will be hidden while others are visible. With this in mind I am attempting to set all my fields so that they display conditionally based on a couple inputfieldSelect boxes. 

This is going well for nearly all fields up until the point in which I need to use a != selector. Here are the select boxes with options that I am using to hide/show body and headline input fields.

newsletterContentType                    
	**1:=New                             
	**2:=Linked Content                  

newsletterContentLayout                  
	**1:= Single Column                  
	**2:= Two Column                     
	**3:= Compact Article Block      

So the one scenario is this, I would like to have a text box hidden if newsletterContentType=2 and newsletterContentLayout=2 or 3. As we are curently unable to have OR operators as specified by the documentation I have attempted to write it like:

newsletterContentType!=2,  newsletterContentLayout!=1

So the way that I interpret this to mean is * always show this field unless these two boxes are set like this *

The problem with this code though is that processwire seems to interpret that expression to mean   , = or. Is there to write this in a language that this field will understand?

...and in the documentation as well: :-)

http://processwire.com/api/selectors/#or-groups

Sadly that's not right. OR groups are still not supported for inputfield dependencies. Also the docs are here, where by now it's still stating, that or-operators do not work: https://processwire.com/api/selectors/inputfield-dependencies/#limitations

@MuchDev

Keep in mind, that inputfield dependencies do not work inside of repeaters. You can hide the whole repeater field, but you can't use them inside of repeater "templates" and you can't show/hide anything based on values inside of repeater items. There were some efforts by Soma to make them work, but I'm not sure about the state and reliability of it.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies everyone, this really clears things up.

Here I go again not reading things properly....I was obviously talking about something different....Thanks for the correction @LostKobrakai

Hehe, so self reflective :)

Sadly that's not right. OR groups are still not supported for inputfield dependencies. Also the docs are here, where by now it's still stating, that or-operators do not work: https://processwire.com/api/selectors/inputfield-dependencies/#limitations

@MuchDev

Keep in mind, that inputfield dependencies do not work inside of repeaters. You can hide the whole repeater field, but you can't use them inside of repeater "templates" and you can't show/hide anything based on values inside of repeater items. There were some efforts by Soma to make them work, but I'm not sure about the state and reliability of it.

Thanks for clarifying, I did read that it was possible and the document said otherwise, I guess I was just hoping that the documentation was just a tad out of date. Too bad that this doesn't work, it's going to make this line in the repeater a little more confusing to the editors at first, but I'm sure they will forgive me :).

Keep in mind, that inputfield dependencies do not work inside of repeaters. 

That's not exactly true. Repeaters do support dependencies, but only for field=value.

You have to set 'useDependencies' => false in your config.php — and that can have undesired consequences.

I haven't tried this, but instead of setting that in the config file, it might be possible to set it on a per-template basis using a hook.

• Like 2