Forum: Topic Prefixes

Mike Rockett

I've been wondering why only forum staff can use topic prefixes when starting a new topic. When looking at the Modules/Plugins subforum, everything is inconsistent in terms of topic naming, where some topics have the prefix badge, and other are simply prefixed with "Module:"...

post-2289-0-03032300-1428850760_thumb.pn

In the case above, "Manage Files" has both, which is even more inconsistent when compared to the rest.

I think all members should be able to use topic prefixes, or nobody at all. Wouldn't you agree?

I think it has nothing to do with staff or member status. On your screenshot you see kongondo also without a badge and he belongs to staff.

My own experience is that, everytime I tried to get such a modules badge into a post of mine, IP.board doesn't do it for me. (But I'm staff, too) I think I haven't done it right or IP.board is a bit weird here.

And there are other examples where members (not staff) have badges of request in the subject.

I will try to update one of my modules first posts without a badge to get a badge displayed and come back here to tell you what happened. :)

EDIT: now I was able to get a module badge in the subject of WireMailSmtp. Before it wasn't shown. Also I saw Module-Threads from Ryan without badges.

Maybe this badge thing is an addition that once came along with an IP.Board upgrade as the forum allready contained a lot of threads.

Edited by horst
  • Like 1

I've changed it so anyone can set the first tag as a prefix, however staff will need to be vigilant and see that it is being used properly (I believe the original use case was to clearly define the different types of topic in the module forum, which may not be a problem in future with some restructuring anyway).

• Like 3

Thanks Pete :-)

Just as an idea, would it not be better to use the tag prefix drop-down instead of using the first tag? So, for forums where anyone can set any tag, you would limit the tag prefixes to 'Request', 'Support', etc. But for forums that have predefined tags, like the modules forum, you use the first tag.

I've changed it so anyone can set the first tag as a prefix, however staff will need to be vigilant and see that it is being used properly (I believe the original use case was to clearly define the different types of topic in the module forum, which may not be a problem in future with some restructuring anyway).

I see how this tagging feature can become an issue, especially for new users. This thread, which has been moved, is a good example - it now has tags that aren't appropriate to the sub-forum, and its badge is the same as the topic title. Could someone take a look at that?

Edit: Thanks LostKobrakai