marc1n

Handling Last-Modified and If-Modified-Since

ProcessWire has builtin cache system (enabled per template basis). Why ProcessWire is not using HTTP headers Last-Modified and If-Modified-Since when cache is turned on? It seems that using this headers could increase performance and is quite easy to implement.

Good day, community!

Somehow this one was left unanswered since 2015! I have googled and found the question, but not the answer. Does anyone has a ready-made solution?

I know that processwire.com has these, but they are probably added by ProCache.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MoritzLost
      This is a new module that provides a simple solution to clearing all your cache layers at once, and an extensible interface to perform various cache-related actions.
      The simple motivation behind this module was that I was tired of manually clearing caches in several places after deploying a change on a live site. The basic purpose of this module is a simple Clear all caches link in the Setup menu which clears out all caches, no matter where they hide. You can customize what exactly the module does through it's configuration menu:
      Expire or delete all cache entries in the database, or selectively clear caches by namespace ($cache API) Clear the the template render cache. Clear out specific folders inside your site's cache directory (/site/assets/cache) Refresh version strings for static assets to bust client-side browser caches (this requires some setup, see the full documentation for details). This is the basic function of the module. However, you can also add different cache management action through the API and execute them through the module's interface. For this advanced usage, the module provides:
      An interface to see all available cache actions and execute them. A system log and logging output on the module page to see verify what the module is doing. A CacheControlTools class with utility functions to clear out different caches. An API to add cache actions, execute them programmatically and even modify the default action. Permission management, allowing you granular control over which user roles can execute which actions. The complete documentation can be found in the module's README.
      Beta release
      Note that I consider this a Beta release. Since the module is relatively aggressive in deleting some caches, I would advise you to install in on a test environment before using it on a live site.
      Let me know if you're getting any errors, have trouble using the module or if you have suggestions for improvement!
      In particular, can someone let me know if this module causes any problems with the ProCache module? I don't own or use it, so I can't check. As far as I can tell, ProCache uses a folder inside the cache directory to cache static pages, so my module should be able to clear the ProCache site cache as well, I'd appreciate it if someone can test that for me.
      Future plans
      If there is some interest in this, I plan to expand this to a more general cache management solution. I particular, I would like to add additional cache actions. Some ideas that came to mind:
      Warming up the template render cache for publicly accessible pages. Removing all active user sessions. Let me know if you have more suggestions!
      Links
      https://github.com/MoritzLost/ProcessCacheControl ProcessCacheControl in the Module directory

• By verdeandrea
      Hello,
      I am using ProCache v3.1.8 on ProcessWire 3.0.96.
      Everything worked fine in the past, but today I noticed that the css file serverd by procache gives a 410 error. 
      The file is there, I checked.
      I deleted the cached files, I deleted the css file, I looked into the .htaccess file looking for some clues about this problem but nothing worked.
      The only way i can see my website correctly again is disabling ProCache. 
      Has anyone any clue on what could be the cause of the problem or on what should I do to fix it?
      Thanks!
    • By abdulqayyum
      Hy Processwire community,
      There are some problem in fileCompiler cache.
      when i change under the directory \site\templates\ it must change under the directory /site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/templates/
      but it does not update and functionality working with /site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/templates/ directory.

In this case please suggest me how i clear fileCompiler cache?
      what i have to clear it manually?
      Thanks AbdulQayyum.
    • By modifiedcontent
      I had upgraded my Apache configuration to include PHP7.2 and PHP7.3 for a Laravel-based script on the same server. Somehow it/I messed up a previously fine Processwire site, in a very confusing way.
      The site still looks fine, but editing template files has no effect whatsoever. It is stuck on some kind of cached version. I have already disabled PHP7's OPcache, cleared browser caches, etc, with no effect.
      The pages now apparently come from PW's assets/cache/FileCompiler folder, even though I never enabled template caching for this site.
      I have tried adding "namespace ProcessWire;" to the top of the homepage template file, but then I get this fatal error:
      My functions.php file pulls data in from another Processwire installation on the same VPS with the following line:
      $othersitedata = new ProcessWire('/home/myaccount/public_html/myothersite/site/', 'https://myothersite.com/'); That apparently still works fine; the site still displays data from the other installation, but via the "cached" template that I am now unable to change.

I don't know where to start with this mess. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated. 

Edit:
      Adding "$config->templateCompile = false;" to config.php results in the same fatal error as above. 
    • By Mobiletrooper
      Hey Ryan, hey friends,
      we, Mobile Trooper a digital agency based in Germany, use ProcessWire for an Enterprise-grade Intranet publishing portal which is under heavy development for over 3 years now. Over the years not only the user base grew but also the platform in general. We introduced lots and lots of features thanks to ProcessWire's absurd flexibility. We came along many CMS (or CMFs for that matter) that don't even come close to ProcessWire. Closest we came across was Locomotive (Rails-based) and Pimcore (PHP based).
      So this is not your typical ProcessWire installation in terms of size.
      Currently we count:
      140 Templates (Some have 1 page, some have >6000 pages)
      313 Fields
      ~ 15k Users (For an intranet portal? That's heavy.)
      ~ 195 431 Pages (At least that's the current AUTOINCREMENT)

I think we came to a point where ProcessWire isn't as scalable anymore as it used to be. Our latest research measured over 20 seconds of load time (the time PHP spent scambling the HTML together). That's unacceptable unfortunately. We've implemented common performance strategies like:
      We're running on fat machines (DB server has 32 gigs RAM, Prod Web server has 32gigs as well. Both are running on quadcores (xeons) hosted by Azure.
      We have load balancing in place, but still, a single server needs up to 20 sec to respond to a single request averaging at around about 12 sec.
      In our research we came across pages that sent over 1000 SQL queries with lots of JOINs. This is obviously needed because of PWs architecture (a field a table) but does this slow mySQL down much? For the start page we need to get somewhere around 60-80 pages, each page needs to be queried for ~12 fields to be displayed correctly, is this too much? There are many different fields involved like multiple Page-fields which hold tags, categories etc.
      We installed Profiler Pro but it does not seem to show us the real bottleneck, it just says that everything is kinda slow and sums up to the grand total we mentioned above.
      ProCache does not help us because every user is seeing something different, so we can cache some fragments but they usually measure at around 10ms. We can't spend time optimising if we can't expect an affordable benefit. Therefore we opted against ProCache and used our own module which generates these cache fragments lazily. 
      That speeds up the whole page rendering to ~7 sec, this is acceptable compared to 20sec but still ridiculously long.
      Our page consists of mainly dynamic parts changing every 2-5 minutes. It's different across multiple users based on their location, language and other preferences.
      We also have about 120 people working on the processwire backend the whole day concurrently.

What do you guys think?
      Here are my questions, hopefully we can collect these in a wiki or something because I'm sure more and more people will hit that break sooner than they hoped they would:

- Should we opt for optimising the database? Since >2k per request is a lot even for a mysql server, webserver cpu is basically idling at that time.
      - Do you think at this point it makes sense to use ProcessWire as a simple REST API?
      - In your experience, what fieldtypes are expensive? Page? RepeaterMatrix?
      - Ryan, what do you consider as the primary bottleneck of processwire?
      - Is the amount of fields too much? Would it be better if we would try to reuse fields as much as possible?
      - Is there an option to hook onto ProcessWires SQL builder? So we can write custom SQL for some selectors?

Thanks and lots of wishes,
      Pascal from Mobile Trooper