Restrict Tab View

adrian

@arjen: why don't just hide them using custom css and admincustomfiles module?

Hey Nico, sorry for responding late. Been on a long, long holiday. This is off course another option which I've used in the past too. Thanks for adding.

• 3 weeks later...

@arjen: FYI and possible fix - since upgrade to PW 2.6.10 in some cases module throws error "Call to a member function attr() on a non-object (line 245 of /var/www/pw/wire/core/InputfieldWrapper.php)". Playing with settings I've mentioned that it happens when I check tab-children-hide for user that gets this error. There were major permission system updates in PW 2.6.10 so I guess new core may conflict with module somehow.

EDIT: Continued experiments and found that tab-settings-hide causes this error when trying to edit user page. Also tab-delete-hide does not function at user page. E.g. clearly there are some conflicts btw PW 2.6.10 and this module.

@arjen: FYI and possible fix - since upgrade to PW 2.6.10 in some cases module throws error "Call to a member function attr() on a non-object (line 245 of /var/www/pw/wire/core/InputfieldWrapper.php)". Playing with settings I've mentioned that it happens when I check tab-children-hide for user that gets this error. There were major permission system updates in PW 2.6.10 so I guess new core may conflict with module somehow.

I assume this was directed at me, and not @arjen?

I am trying to replicate your issue here but can't at the moment. Just quickly, I am wondering if that might be a bug in InputfieldWrapper.php

Could you please try to replace that line 245:

} if($this->getChildByName($item->attr('name')) && $item->parent) {

with:

} elseif($this->getChildByName($item->attr('name')) && $item->parent) {

I am not sure this is the problem, but it's weird to me the styling Ryan has with the "if" starting on the same line as the closing curly brace, so I think it might be meant to be an "elseif".

Anyway, let me know if that fixes things - if not can you narrow down a particular setup that results in the new error.

@adrian, ups, yes this is directed to you.)

Replaced, but it does not fix a problem.(

Particular setup:

- module is installed with checked Hide "children, settings, delete" in settings

- there is user X with role "content-editor".

- when role "content-editor" has only "tab-settings-hide" and "tab-delete-hide" permissions - everything is OK, e.g. no any tabs in the page (btw children tab is also hidden)

- when role "content-editor" has also "tab-children-hide" permission => error above

Again, this happened in PW 2.6.10 dev - could be either result of permission system changes or simply dev bugs... Anyway, looks like this code may not setup $fieldset in some cases:

if($tab == "Settings" || $tab == "Children") {
            $fieldset = $form->find("id=ProcessPageEdit".$tab)->first();
        }
        else {
            $fieldset = $form->find("id=ProcessPageEdit".$tab);
        }

P.S. The same error is thrown in another scenario - when editing "user" page by different user/role. But now issue is with "tab-settings-hide" only...

P.S. Just idea - may be some tabs in some cases can't be found with $form->find? E.g. for example when user does not have access to add children (restricted at template level) then Children tab is not displayed. 

EDIT: Temporarily made quickfix after if-else block above: if (!is_object($fieldset)) return;

It prevents errors - module works as expected at all pages. Except "user" page - here "delete" tab does not disappear (while "tab-delete-hide is ON"), but "children" tab disappears ("tab-children-hide" is ON too).

• Like 1

@valan - thank you for helping to figure this out. I added your is_object check and also fixed the issue with the Delete tab not being hidden. 

Could you please try the new version and let me know if everything is working as expected?

• 8 months later...

Module should add additional permissions automatically.

For most modules, I would agree with you, but this one potentially has 8 custom permissions. I think most users will probably only want the "tab-settings-view" or "tab-settings-hide" permission. I'd rather not pollute the permissions list with 7 additional unnecessary permissions if you are planning on only using one.

Do you see my point?

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Ivan Gretsky said:

Not sure if this one is connected with the module directly, but still...

Is there an easy way to hide the Content tab if all the other tabs are disabled with permissions?

Hi Ivan - not sure I am understanding - do you want to hide all tabs, or do you have some custom fieldsettabs that would still be displayed? I could perhaps implement, but if it's a case of just not wanting a tab named "Content", don't forget that you can actually rename this.

Does that help, or am I not understanding your scenario?

I got all tabs but Content turned off. So the lonely Content Tab seems unnecessary and confusing. I thought that it would be better to see no tabs at all when only one is present. I know I can rename it, but that hardly makes it look any better. I surely can live with this tab, just wanted to know if there is an easy workaround.

So you want the fields from the content tab to still be there, just not the tab "button" (for want of a better description)?

That sounds more like a job for CustomAdminFiles or maybe a feature request for AOS?

This module hides entire tabs, including their content.

Am I on the right track now?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, PWaddict said:

I've just installed the module. Isn't possible to hide the children tab ONLY on a specific template?

Currently no, the module is designed for site-wide use, but you could extend it to have a template selector in the module config, or just steal the relevant code from the module and add it as a hook in your /site/ready.php file.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, adrian said:

Currently no, the module is designed for site-wide use, but you could extend it to have a template selector in the module config, or just steal the relevant code from the module and add it as a hook in your /site/ready.php file.

Ok I hide the children tab on the template I wanted but now the order of tabs is changed on the other templates. It shows them in this order: Content, Settings, Delete, View, Children instead of Content, Children, Settings, Delete, View. I'm not sure how can I fix that.

2 minutes ago, PWaddict said:

Ok I hide the children tab on the template I wanted but now the order of tabs is changed on the other templates. It shows them in this order: Content, Settings, Delete, View, Children instead of Content, Children, Settings, Delete, View. I'm not sure how can I fix that.

Can't really help without knowing exactly how you did the hiding :)

2 minutes ago, adrian said:

Can't really help without knowing exactly how you did the hiding :)

Sorry you're right :)

I've edited the function removeTabs:

public function removeTabs ($tab, $event) {

$form = $event->return;
        $p = $event->object->getPage();

if($p->template->name == 'mytemplatename' && $tab == "Children") {
            $fieldset = $form->find("id=ProcessPageEdit".$tab)->first();
        }
        else {
            $fieldset = $form->find("id=ProcessPageEdit".$tab);
        }

$form->remove($fieldset);
        $event->object->removeTab("ProcessPageEdit".$tab);
    }

I figured it out. I changed this function:

public function afterBuildForm(HookEvent $event){

if($this->user->isSuperuser()) return;

$form = $event->return;

foreach($this->data['viewTabs'] as $tab) {
            if(!$this->user->hasPermission("tab-".strtolower($tab)."-view")) {
                $this->removeTabs($tab, $event);
            }
        }

foreach($this->data['hideTabs'] as $tab) {
            if($this->user->hasPermission("tab-".strtolower($tab)."-hide")) {
            }
        }

$event->return = $form;
    }

to this:

public function afterBuildForm(HookEvent $event){

if($this->user->isSuperuser()) return;

$form = $event->return;
        $p = $event->object->getPage();

foreach($this->data['viewTabs'] as $tab) {
            if(!$this->user->hasPermission("tab-".strtolower($tab)."-view")) {
            }
        }

foreach($this->data['hideTabs'] as $tab) {
            if($this->user->hasPermission("tab-".strtolower($tab)."-hide") && $p->template->name == 'mytemplatename') {
            }
        }

$event->return = $form;
    }

• Like 1